Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Newbie on AMF Alcort Trac 18  Bottom

• Hi All-

I have never sailed a day in my life and I was just given an AMF Alcort Trac 18 with a trailer. It needs a little TLC. All of the lines and hardware are in great shape. The sails and battens sp? are in great shape. The fiberglass hulls need a small patch but are fine over all. The trampoline needs help. It looks like someone went through the diagonal seam that is sewn on one side. It is also fairly brittle. Is is supposed to be brittle? I think I can probably hand sew to repair the broken seam but I was wondering about how to tell if the fabric is good. Also, does anybody know where I might be able to get a replacement tramp if need be? I don't really have the skills to order a custom one because they are asking a lot of technical measurement questions. Please Help! icon_confused
  • If your tramp is brittle, it is probably beyond repair. You could try and sew a patch over the hole but most
    likely not worth it. You could send yours off to one of the tramp builders and have them copy it. Tell us where you are and where you intend to sail. There is probably a member that could look over your boat and give you pointers. An 18 footer is a lot of boat to start out on with no experience. I am sure someone here could take you out and show you the ropes. Good luck you are about to be bitten by the cat sailing bug. For those
    regular lurkers you will notice that I did not ask for his address icon_lol

Noticed there is a yahoo group for the trac. Maybe ask there about your tramp,

Edited by pknapp66 on Jan 13, 2013 - 03:06 PM.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • QuoteA clever man learns from his own mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others

icon_lol
  • Pete's advice is good. A brittle tramp is not worth putting money and effort into. Sunrise Netting may have a pattern for your boat, and many sailmakers can replicate a tramp if they have a sample in hand. Support your local sailmaker if he/she is willing to make one.

And take his advice to get someone to sail with you if at all possible, and if not, do some reading, and initially just take the boat out in gentle conditions. You're not really sailing prudently until you know how to right your boat when(not if) it goes over. And have fun, this is a thrilling sport when powered up!

Dave

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.