Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Blue versus Black Tramp Fabric?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Getting ready to replace the tramp on my Nacra 570. It has a black tramp but was wondering if I should consider replacing with a blue one. Is the blue fabric the same as the black except for color? If you know of any pro's or con's for either please let me know your thoughts. I searched for previous threads on this but didn't have any luck finding anything. Which ever way I go I'm leaning toward getting it from Sunrise with bias cut and Teflon stitching. Thanks.

--
    Steve - Texas Gulf Coast

91 Mystere 5.0 (sold)
    04 Nacra 570 (sold)
    08 Hobie Wave
    00 Taipan 4.9
    --
  • Both tramps are the same, I have used both and there really is no difference, the only criteria is does it match the color scheme of your cat. I have a P15 with yellow decks, white hulls, a blue mesh tramp would not co-ordinate with that so I went with the black. Prior to that I had a P18 with white hulls, there was some blue in the main, so I went with the blue. As long as you protect both tramp and stitching from the UV rays, they will last a long time, remove tramp in winter when not in use, cover tramp in summer when not in use.
  • Absoulutely go with the best thread offered, will more than pay for itself over time. I often have to restitch a tramp 2 or 3 times before being ready for a new one, and that's using premium thread and keeping it covered whenever not out sailing.

Dave
  • Hey Dave.. I have to do a repair on the small patches that support the gromits in the tramp.. The stitching and thread is shot.. They are small patches about 2.5 in square and are heavy vinal supporting the gromit in the mesh tramp.. Questions?? What kind of thread and where to buy it?? Is it easier to take the tramp off to stich it .. or have you done it with 2 guys, one on top and the other below?? This one is on a H-17 and it looks like I have to take the boat apart to get the tramp off.. I guess if I took it off I could send it out to be done.. Looks like a great winter project though.. !!

Thx Hal

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • Quoteor have you done it with 2 guys, one on top and the other below??

icon_biggrin

HAPPY NEW YEAR HAL!!!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • You want a UV resistant thread, and teflon is a fairly common hi tech thread. And there may be others. Not sure where to find it, sailrite.com is a possiblility, or check with a local upholsterer who does outdoor stuff or boat cushions and covers. Hand stitching with two guys should work for a small repair(you'l need a very stout needle and a couple of thimbles), although the tramp should come off reasonable easily, and zig zag stitching is probably stronger than your in situ sewing job. Good luck!

Dave

Edited by davefarmer on Jan 01, 2013 - 05:44 PM.
  • HAPPY NEW YEAR Mr Prindle.. Sent ya a message the other day from the one you sent me in November. Dont sign on her often in the winter unless it is a sales opportunity. Best email for me is sailing.(first name.last name) at gmail.com. Been missen our chit chat. U bee putten on some winter pounds so ya can hold that girl down this spring?? Wish I lived closer.. Got to check Mississippi to see if I can ship some of that kik-a-poo joy juce to ya. It is a hit with the chicks.. Cheers

Thanks Dave.. Might try to get the tramp off with out a full dissasemble. (God I wish this had a spell check..) The mesh is good but it would be good to re-do that as well..

Any one here with a H 17 taken the tramp off???

Happy New Year to all !! Hal

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • I took the tramp off my H17 but I had to pretty much disassemble the boat. However the H17 is not all that hard to take apart. it is only 4 bolts and I recommend doing it and checking all the castings on the ends where the beams slide in. They tend to work loose over time and this is good time to make sure everything nice and tight an stays where it should.

My tramp was one of those diagonally cut vinyl ones. It looks like some of the newer multi-part ones you could get away with taking the main tramp off and just leave 2 small strips on the from and back beam in place all the time. I have not put mine back together yet because I need to fix the wing pockets and have not got around to it yet. If I do with the same tramp i will not likely take it off again until I get a new tramp. I'll just drop it off the trailer to the ground in the winter so the snow weight is distributed better.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • The Black tramp material is supposed to last longer in the sun but i think if you like blue get it and just take care to cover as much as possible when not in use.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Thanks. I recall reading someones's comment in the past that the blue is not as durable so maybe there is something to that. Along the same line it is also my impression that the Blue fades more in the sun. Blue would match well but if durability is in question I will probably just go with the black.

--
    Steve - Texas Gulf Coast

91 Mystere 5.0 (sold)
    04 Nacra 570 (sold)
    08 Hobie Wave
    00 Taipan 4.9
    --
  • fun2themaxThanks. I recall reading someones's comment in the past that the blue is not as durable so maybe there is something to that. Along the same line it is also my impression that the Blue fades more in the sun. Blue would match well but if durability is in question I will probably just go with the black.

Steve, don't believe everything you read. The blue looks great and will hold up just fine, and get the Teflon thread, worth every penny. Since you mentioned Sunrise, just call and talk to Richard. He is topnotch, they have outstanding workmanship, and he will stand behind his product for as long as you own it. They've been doing this a long time.

--
    Philip
    --
  • QuoteSince you mentioned Sunrise, just call and talk to Richard. He is topnotch, they have outstanding workmanship, and he will stand behind his product for as long as you own it. They've been doing this a long time.

Thanks Philip. I do intend to call Sunrise for their reccomendation before I make the final decision. Just trying to see what experiences others have had with the blue material before I make that call. Sometimes it can be a challenge distinguishing fact from opinon!

--
    Steve - Texas Gulf Coast

91 Mystere 5.0 (sold)
    04 Nacra 570 (sold)
    08 Hobie Wave
    00 Taipan 4.9
    --
  • fun2themaxSometimes it can be a challenge distinguishing fact from opinion!

Bingo!

--
    Philip
    --
  • +1 for sunrise and Richard
    My current (sunrise) tramp is almost 7 years old, i sail in salt water every weekend, and is almost never covered. I have had it re-stitched 1 time.

Edited by MN3 on Jan 03, 2013 - 11:37 AM.
  • QuoteI have had it re-stitched 1 time.

Question for Andrew, & others who have restitched tramps.
    I remember seeing a post,( I think it might have been ERICE) regarding the needles used. Something about a triangle needle, or a dull one, to prevent cutting of the fabric which leads to it unravelling.
    I have a Sunrise tramp on the 5.0 that needs to be restitched this spring. Is there anything one needs to be aware of when having it done, with regards to needles used?

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • sorry, no idea, but i bet sunrise would gladly advise ya

my restitching was to repair pockets, and re-sleeve the bolt ropes on the hull sides.

i didn't, and wish i brought it back to sunrise.

The guy who did it made the pockets wrong, and unusable, and wouldn't fix them without charge. (I had a friend fix it)
  • Both my cats started out with blue tramps and were replaced with black.
    The blue fades faster and the blue hiking straps decay much faster than the black.
    The Tenara (Teflon) thread is more expensive up front ($50) but will save you time, trouble and restitching expense in the long run- you'll start restitching in 4 to 5 years. Not so with Tenara.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • QuoteSomething about a triangle needle, or a dull one, to prevent cutting of the fabric which leads to it unravelling.

"Ball Point Needle" is the type you need.

If you are hand sewing, the needle has a triangular mid-section. It is difficult to push these needles through multiple layers of mesh- especially vinyl coated poly. You may need a sewing palm.

The proper sewing machine needles have the ball point but the standard round midsection.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I am trying to justify bying new tramp vs restiching for my recently purchased 1992 Nacra 5.0. The exisiting tramp which is the original Nacra tramp needs new foot straps and complete restiching. The material is still in good shape but threads are almost gone. Do you guys know the cost of restiching?

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • The estimate for restiching my 570 tramp from SLO was $50 - $80 depending on complexity and not including the shipping cost.

--
    Steve - Texas Gulf Coast

91 Mystere 5.0 (sold)
    04 Nacra 570 (sold)
    08 Hobie Wave
    00 Taipan 4.9
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.