Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H16 lower rudder casting sister screw slips right through  Bottom

• I have a Hobie 16 with a lower rudder casting that appears defective. The sister screw will pass right through the rudder casting on one side. the other side is marginal also. the ends of the sister screws should fit nicely in the bevel of the rudder casting, but it is as if someone drilled the screw hole larger. My fear is the screw will pass through and it and the cam will get cocked and no longer rotate properly.

Any ideas if this can be repaired. Or am I in the market for a new casting?

Thanks,
    Ted

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • some pictures would go a long way in trying to fix your procedure

--
    Nacra 5.7
    Falcon Lake Manitoba
    Canada
    --
  • Here is a picture of the sister screw sitting flush to the lower casting. I am holding the screw up from below.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=101085&g2_serialNumber=4

Here is the same picture with the head of the screw slipped through the casting. The hole should have a small enough diameter to not allow the screw head to drop through.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=101088&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    --
  • Ted, this is where a sailor gets innovative, go to your local Ace Hardware store, they have a hardware and fittings section, take both the casting and the sister screw with you, look for a SS screw that matches your sister screw but has a bigger "head". Someone has definitely drilled out the casting, if no luck on a larger screw head, maybe some kind of bushing to fit that hole but will not affect the movement of the cam? Worse case scenario you have to drill both casting and cam, and use your own oversized SS hardware to hold cam in place.
  • I am still looking for some hardware. Ace had some screws that came close but no acceptable fit and very little stainless. Some questions: will any material work? I called my Hobie dealer and he said the sister screws are stainless steel.

Also, what do you think of a pin, as shown in this youtube?
    http://www.youtube.com/wa…X3c6BtQHOJehil_PyAG0YW7a

I am thinking a larger pin would work, drill out the other side to match the bad side's diameter, and if needed drill the cam, as recommended by the-renovator.

My fear is the pin would walk out over time. I cannot tell if the youtube authors had a flat surface for the pin or do they have the same surface as mine which is beveled for the sister screw.

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    --
  • It looks like these are Hobie Europe parts in the video. My questions still apply. Amazing the parts are not exactly the same worldwide.

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.