Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Anyone have a Hobie 14 4-1 Mainsheet Block  Bottom

• I restored a 1979 Hobie 14 on a budget. I traded some buffing work on the customers center console fishing boat for the Hobie. The hulls were 80% soft and it took about 3 1/2 Gal Resin and 400 holes to stiffen it up. I always liked the easy rigging/ righting of the 14 although I used to sail Hobie 16 and Prindle 16 as well. I sailed it in large surf in FL and it held up. (See Catamaran Beauty and Art for Pics) I am 57 and have some health problems and it was exceptionally hard on me since the rachet didn't work and it was missing the cleat on the lower mainsheet block. I am interested in buying a cheap 4-1 lower mainsheet block or even better a Harken 5-1 block. We used a 5-1 system when I raced them in my 20s but now with a 4-1 purchase I last about 30 minutes in 20 MPH in the swells.

I also have some injection tips I used while following Quick & Dirty Hull repair from this site. I will post them in a coming article. Here is one, Hobbie Lobby has a paint called Krylon Short Cuts Turquoise #SCS-101 which practically matches the original Hobie Blue color for $3.27 per 3 oz. can. With internet coupon you can get it 40% off. The beauty of this is if it scratches the gel below shows almost no difference.

Good Sailing to all,
    David

Edited by sailrider on Nov 25, 2012 - 10:09 PM.

--
    David
    Hobie 14 (Tsunami)
    Valdosta, GA
    --
  • If you ordeer today, you can get 25% off already inexpensive blocks at

http://Nautos-USA.com

92137 - TRIPLE FIXED WITH ALUMINUM CAM AND BECKET- SAILBOAT HARDWARE-BLOCKS

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Thanks, but I was really looking for some used blocks that were less expensive. I only have about $300-$400 in the entire boat and trailer.

--
    David
    Hobie 14 (Tsunami)
    Valdosta, GA
    --
  • Check with Pete Begle, here, he probably has a set. He usually runs a bunch of ads here under "parts"(in the classifieds tab above)
    I think he has left for the Baja, not back til Christmas, so he might be slow to reply.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I think I have one in the shop, I will send you a pm a little later.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Thanks,

I appreciate the help. I will check out Pete Begle and call or PM bacho tomorrow. I would also consider or Hobie , Prindle, Nacra or any brand 5-1 blocks from someone parting out a boat. Actually, all I really need is the cleat and side swivels for the lower block that I have. I could probably do without the rachet.

Thank you,
    David

--
    David
    Hobie 14 (Tsunami)
    Valdosta, GA
    --
  • David, e-mail sent..... icon_cool
  • I was unable to put my hands on one.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Thanks Everyone,

Still looking for a while for just what I want. The idea setup would be a low profile 5-1 so I could carry more mast rake.

Good Sailing,
    David

--
    David
    Hobie 14 (Tsunami)
    Valdosta, GA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.