Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra SL 16  Bottom

• Hey everyone, I was just looking at the classifieds and I noticed a boat for sale called a Nacra SL 16. Now I consider myself fairly knowledgable about most things Nacra but I have never come across that boat before.

Wikipedia says it was used for the 2005 youth worlds. It looks like a Nacra 500 but there appears to be more rocker in the hull for-aft and less volume. The tramp also looks like the same system some A-cats and tornados use. Other than that I'm not sure what to think. Anyone have any more insights? Is it just a Nacra 500 but about a foot shorter?

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • sl16 is/was a french catamaran designed by top french cat sailor yves loday who also was involved with the uk spitfire cat

from the shape the sl16 may be roto-molded plastic?

http://www.sirena-voile.com/en/bateaux_neufs/sl/sl.html

looks like nacra imported some about 6? years ago for some badge engineering???

another 1 for sale in texas

http://www.sailingtexas.com/snacra16100.html

might be interesting to get parts for it...

Edited by erice on Nov 22, 2012 - 04:35 AM.
  • The skegs do not seem to be as deep as my 5.7 or 5.0. They do look to be rotomolded hulls.
    They show a Portsmouth of 73 I believe.
    My first take on looking at that ad last night was, "you seem to get a lot for only 5K". A nearly new boat, trailer with box, full spin kit, righting pole, dual trap.
    For 5K, they would be a lot more fun than a new Wave.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I've sailed that one that was listed in Texas. A friend of mine (member of our cat sailing community here in OKC, can't remember her name on these forums) bought it to replace her wave.

It is not rotomolded. It might look that way b/c of how rounded it is? It is a sturdy, stiff boat, with a very nice sail plan.

I flipped it last time out and bent the tiller, so I just replaced it. In the process I learned what a pain it is to get part info in english. However, if someone here buys that one in Cali, I can share lots of info with them.

The bows, with my fat butt on the boat, will bury easily if I'm anywhere but in the back, but the bow shape sheds water very well. I did go over going downwind, but I wasn't respecting the power of the boat on the short bows (was treating it a little more like my I17). In the past I've had tons of fun on it. The kite is a perfect size for the boat. IMO it's a perfect youth boat, or good for a single 200-240 pounder, although you might want to add a self tacker.

I've read that the 500 sport is much better refined, but I haven't seen one so I don't know. The connections on the SL are all done nicely, with very few metal shackles on it anywhere.

Honestly, I'm not sure how Nacra's name ended up on it anywhere. It's not on the boat anywhere that I've seen, and in looking for part info I never came across anything associated with Nacra. I also had no luck going through any US nacra dealers on part info or availability. (turns out it's just a standard RWO part, but still wasn't available here)

It's got high tech lines straight out of the box, although not tapered. It opts for simple everywhere it can.

In our community I put it up with our I20s, and my I17R (obviously biased here), in how satisfyingly it does its intended job.

Hope that helps.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • I have only sailed the SL16 once. The boat is a LOT of fun. The two things that impressed me most were: (1) how responsive the steering is and (2) how easy the rig is to control. Super responsive on both counts. I was surprised by how comfortable the boat felt right away, even when pushing it hard (too hard for the owner!).

I believe that Nacra constructed some of the boats under a contract related to ISAF, and that is how the Nacra named ended up on some of the boats.

In my opinion, there are only two issues with this boat: (1) finding parts and (2) it needs a self tacker.
  • Ahh, yes, the steering. Good point. Almost insane how responsive it is.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Mine is for sale. I just dropped the price to $4,100.00 and it is not rotomold. The boat is very fast. So easy to steer that being inexperienced, I flip her from oversteering when I am scared. LOL

Hulls are solid, sails are crisp and she comes with two unused harnesses, also. Trailer and beachwheels are also included.

See my ad on here under Murphysgirl.

--
    Bonnie

Nacra SL 16
    Hobie Wave
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.