Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 18-2 stay and jib ring  Bottom

• Bought a Prindle 18-2 that was rigged with the jib lock ring swaged to the pigtail assembly AND the forestay so the ring can't move. He rigged the jib halyard through the ring and when the S hook goes through the ring it locks but I can't get it to unlock and lower the jib. Would one of you offer help or just tell the the right or better way to rig. Thanks. Bill
  • don't remember exactly, but it sounds right except that the pigtail and forestay should be also swaged together. That way the ring moves up and down and can release the halyard hook w/ a quick tug. I could be wrong, though.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=72494&g2_serialNumber=2

Above pic is the Prindle forestay and ring setup, I'm guessing the P18-2 is same? What the pic does not show is the shorter tail with thimble that acts as a block, the halyard runs up through the ring, through the thimble on the shorter tail, and back down through the ring again. With the mast stepped and forestay connected, ring flops down, but when raising the jib the ring pivots up as the "S" hook passes through.

(center pic on right)

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=75740&g2_serialNumber=6

This sets up the "hooking" action of the "S" hook onto the ring as can be seen in the pic on the bottom right.

Disengaging the hook from the ring entails grabbing the halyard "up" line in one hand and the jib tack in the other hand and alternating pulling down on each untill the hook comes free, can take numerous of attempts.

What is very important is that when you connect the upper forestay (pigtail) to the mast hound (tang), the short pigtail must be closest to mast. Also, before raising the jib, make sure the opening on the "S" hook also faces the mast.

If your setup does not look the same as above, please post pic of what you do have. HTH
  • PS, Bill, where do you sail out of?
  • A pdf of the Prindle manual is in the technical section on thebeachcats.com

--
    John Fricker
    Prindle 16
    Seabrook, Texas
    --
  • The pics posted above are correct. When raising the jib, go up all the way and the SLOWLY lower the jib to let the S hook hang and catch the ring. Sometimes you have to pull the jib out to one side or the other to get the angles right.

To lower the jib, pull up on the halyard and then QUICKLY lower it. That way the S hook does not have time to catch on the ring.

It takes some practice.

Edited by uh on Nov 21, 2012 - 09:09 AM.

--
    Uwe
    94 Prindle 19 - "überKat"
    DFW, TX
    --
  • the-renovatorAbove pic is the Prindle forestay and ring setup, I'm guessing the P18-2 is same?
    (He is correct)

As you look at the pigtail, the forestay is forward (the long part) and the jib halyard is aft (toward the mast) passing through the ring and up to the shorter swaged thimble.
    A photo may help us help you.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas to all. The pictures you sent are what I expected. Guess I have to cut, remove, reposition and re-weld the ring.

You all have been extremely helpful. I am grateful. Hope to return the favor some day. Here is my only new gizmo. Got tied of straightening the little hinge at the mast foot that often bent when stepping (really got one with the 18-2 that did not fit and was very bent) so I made one from 2 inch nylon flat webbing with stainless steel tubes for pin guides and to keep the gizmo rather square and aligned. It flexes, is very strong. I use a screwdriver with the tip cut off as the top pin so there are no split rings to mess with. To keep the screwdriver from falling out, drill a hole in the plastic handle and attach a bungy loop to pop over the tip once through the mast bottom.

Anyway I am in New Mexico, the Sailors Land of Enchantment. Really-- there is no good water but after 20 years of not sailing I had to buy another cat and take the good with the poor. Started racing Windmills in Dallas area in High School, joined the Army (go figure) and sailed Prindle in OK, VA, LA, TX off the coast and in lakes. Boy do I miss the rush. Uwe, you probably have been on Grapevine, Lake Dallas, Sam Rayburn ad the like. Not to create a stir-- Bought and sold a Hobie in a year. It worked but just did not feel the same.

Again, thanks to all for your shared experiences and knowledge. I'm grateful.

Think Safety.

Bill

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.