Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Aussie halyard system - repair  Bottom

• I have an Aussie halyard system that I think might be homemade or scavenged. It is from an 07 Hobie that was part of a rental fleet in GA. I suspect that the parts might be swapped with other boats, or some of the parts 'homemade'.

The issue is the Aussie halyard. The forestay is shackled to the top of the halyard block, which is then connected to the mast tang by a short pig tail. I believe that, after a day's sail, when striking the sails by releasing the tension on the halyard, the halyard block pinches against the now tensioned forestay, and prevents the free running of the halyard in the sheave. I have to use most of my weight to pull down the sail.

my question is should I add a pigtail as shown in this picture from a Murray website? will that cure the problem?

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=98692&g2_serialNumber=3

I also have this pic from the Hobie catalogue
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=98690&g2_serialNumber=3
    It indicates that maybe the halyard shipped from Hobie is longer? is this the case?

a second issue, maybe an issue, maybe not, maybe related, maybe not, is when i stepped the mast for the first time, I had to put the shrouds on the last adjustment of the shroud adjustment plates, and the forestay close to its end, as if the wire ropes were not long enough. Could this be related? I think the boat had sat for a season or two before I purchased it.

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • Another thought on the difficulty pulling down the sail is maybe the halyard line is binding up. It seems to twist on itself when hoisting the sail. The sail hoists well enough, and when tensioning the halyard, I seem to get the mast to rock forward as the halyard comes down another couple inches and then feels like no more should be pulled.

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    --
  • Sounds like someone put on a lower forestay from an older H 16 (without the Aussie system) and, since it was too short, attached it to the top of the halyard block (which is wrong). The older forestay attached to the bottom of the fiddle block and was a lot shorter than the forestay for the Aussie rig. It sounds like you need a forestay for the Aussie system which attaches to the tang....according to the wire guide it is 18' 9.75" long.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Hobie jibs have a stay that runs up the luff of the sail and are "hanked" onto the forestay, when the jib is raised, downhaul is applied to the point that the forestay becomes slack and the stay in the jib now becomes the forestay. The Aussie system just gives you 4:1 downhaul on the halyard, allowing you to crank on the tension on the jib luff. Like Jerome says, what you have there is not correct.
  • I think the problem is the wrong forestay as Jerome states. A replacement part for the upper forestay for an Aussie retrofit to older boats is $23, but a new Aussie length forestay is $30 to $40. I might go with the latter as this would give me a new forestay, replacing a used part with possible hidden defects, with one less shackle connection.

It might be a while before I make the replacement, but will report back on the resolution.

One last question on this. Did Hobie change the length of side shrouds over the years? Or should these be one length. I am looking for other possible variables.

Thanks,

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    --
  • Yes, the shroud length got shorter, not sure of the date, early to mid 90's. I think they were changed to the same length as a Hobie 17. I don't remember the length. Try a Google search or maybe a 16 sailor can tell you.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Ted, what you should have is that after-market pigtail for the older Hobies you show in the top pic, it's designed to be added to the top of your forestay at the longer tail using a shackle. Blocks are then connected to the shorter tail giving you the Aussie Halyard

http://www.murrays.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/01-3302.jpg

Edited by the-renovator on Nov 21, 2012 - 07:40 AM.
  • Something to consider after further thought.....

If your standing rigging is five years old or more, you might just want to replace all of it. Last year, I got a set from Salty Dog for ~$120 shipped. It included bridles, shrouds, and forestay, but not the trap wires or the pigtail for the Aussie halyard (those can be had for more $ of course). They are the stock size (1 x 19?), double swaged, and great quality. If you go this route, be sure to specify your year model so they get the lengths right. Also, be sure to specify that you have the Aussie jib halyard. You can get them coated or not. I like the coated shrouds and bridles, but recommend against coating the forestay (makes the jib hank hang up). Good luck!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.