Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 15  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• the-renovator
    Quote We can't add a jib because of the class rule about sail size.
    ......and that, my friend, is why I dont race, too many rules and regulations.

Also, A-cats have lots of power to weight ratio compared to most beachcats. There is little need to add more sail area/horse power

165 lbs rigged.
    I have taken an A-cat out in 15mph and it was full-on, powered up
  • Ronald

Waar woon jy?
  • Wow dude! asked you where you live, I apologize if that "exceeds the limits of your privacy"........ mad
  • northseajunkieBy chance my eye fell on this forum triggered by the subject Prindle-15.

So, as a new member I would like to add my devotion to the P15 design. I owned several ones and I'm now sailing on a one-off homebuilt version of the P15.

Ronald,

Welcome to TheBeachcats.com, glad to have some insight into your favorite Prindle and always good to hear from The Netherlands. I like hearing about your area because catamaran sailing is treated like a popular sport instead of a fringe activity. icon_razz

You have to be tough to sail all the time in the North Sea, yet there are a number of nice catamaran clubs on the beach there.

Don't worry about any translation mis-understandings, you English is much better than my Dutch. icon_cool

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Backasswards The boom that came with the P16 had a main sheet system that I'd never seen before. the main sheet connected to the boom in two seperate places.

Hank,
    I made the same mod to my P16 after sailing in the ocean in 15-20 kts. Adding a second boom bail allowed me to increase purchase on the mainsheet, and so be able to sheet the main with one hand in bigger wind. It did take some fiddling to get the lines to run smoothly through the blocks.

This past summer I did the same thing to my P18-2. With 8:1 there, I can now sheet with one hand, but I have to pull in eight feet to move the blocks a foot. Mostly this happens only when I come up to close hauled from a broad reach.

Edited by klozhald on Dec 13, 2012 - 11:49 AM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • "Waar woon jy" translates to "where do you live", don't want your home address, we're not that intimate yet.......... icon_wink ....... And it's Afrikaans not Dutch

Just wanted to know what part of the world you sail as we all know it takes a tough individual to sail the North Sea.

So stop being such a "Richard", and we'll all get along just fine
  • QuoteAdding a second boom bale......
    Bob, when you say boom bale are you referring to what some call a "block hanger"? The old H16 had 2 block hangers on the boom, and I've seen old H18 with 3 block hangers, but I'm not sure how you would acquire "more purchase", can you explain please.
  • Boom bail, look on page 27 of the current Hobie parts and accessories book and it will explain how to convert a 6/1 to a 7/1 and a 7/1 to an 8/1
  • the-renovatorI'm not sure how you would acquire "more purchase", can you explain please.

My mainsheet rig had a triple block and one ratchet block on the traveler and a triple block with becket on the boom bail.
    I added a matching single block on the new boom bail and re-routed the sheet to include it, increasing the purchase.

Edited by klozhald on Dec 13, 2012 - 11:45 AM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • the-renovatorThe old H16 had 2 block hangers on the boom, and I've seen old H18 with 3 block hangers

Yeah. Hobie only put a single block on each bail.
    Possibly they had problems with the boom, rivets or bails, or maybe it was a lower cost solution.
    It was definately cost for me- the bail was $7 and the block $20. New low profile blocks would have been over $500.
    The modern cats have 10:1 blocks on a single bail without issues.

Edited by klozhald on Dec 13, 2012 - 12:18 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Please everyone remember that the forums at TheBeachcats.com are supposed to be a friendly place. Be especially careful when there might be language differences in play. A casual comment or "inside joke" sometimes translates quite a bit stronger than you intend.

In real life, tone of voice or a smile can filter what would be a rude comment, but in writing you just have the words.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • DamonLinkousPlease everyone remember that the forums at TheBeachcats.com are supposed to be a friendly place. Be especially careful when there might be language differences in play. A casual comment or "inside joke" sometimes translates quite a bit stronger than you intend.

In real life, tone of voice or a smile can filter what would be a rude comment, but in writing you just have the words.

I agree completely with this. I do not post very often, but find myself reading this forum weekly to gather sailing information and further my understanding of catamarans in general. It really is a friendly place that seems very inviting to all different levels of sailing experience. -- However, I see this common miss communication on many other forums I frequent as well...

I watched the video that "Ronald" posted yesterday (maybe the day before?), and came back today to find it again (all his posts are gone).... He seemed like a very dedicated and experienced sailor that more than likely could of brought a thing or two to this forum with his posts. His custom made cat was impressive (material/construction speaking - I have no basis on design) and seemed like the kind of rig that could help someone improve on their own ideas if he were to explain it.

I'm not pointing any fingers or really wanting to start a discussion of any kind on this subject. I just hope that "we" can keep as many willing and knowledgeable people on this forum as possible. Being somewhat "young" I hope to see more growth in this sport/hobby than anything else.

Back on subject ---

Glad to see that you decided to fix up the boat. I hate seeing "rare" boats get parted out or left in the field that are in good condition.

--
    83' - Prindle 16
    --
  • A Public Apology To Members Of This Forum

The incident mentioned by BigMace above gives new meaning to the expression "lost in translation". When I read his post and watched his video, I realized he was either from the Netherlands or Holland, in my enthusiasm to reach out to a fellow sailor, I simply asked him where he lived in Afrikaans, which is very similar to the Dutch language. In English, it is common to ask "where you from", and get an indirect answer like "East Coast". It seems that something was lost in translation, he was obviously offended. But I thought his public scolding was more akin to "tearing me a new one", invading his privacy he said, impertinent and irrelevant were some of his stronger words.

Anyway, I guess he thought it necessary to retract his membership here and delete all his posts, as a strong protest to his treatment, I for one, am sorry to see him go, as mentioned above, he seems to have immense experience that could benefit us all. I will try and track him down and write him a letter of apology, explaining to him that no offense was intended, and ask him to re-join as his experience could help many. I will keep you posted.

Renovator
  • QuoteBe especially careful when there might be language differences in play. A casual comment or "inside joke" sometimes translates quite a bit stronger than you intend.

I learned this the hard way. Being from the West, where Canada's other official language,(French) is rarely spoken I managed to put both feet into my mouth, up to the knee. Despite high school & 1st year university french, I really didn't understand the subtleties beyond basic conversations.
    One day, while heading for Houston on the Microbus (Airbus 319) I received a message from crew sked via the datalink. C Sked is in Montreal, & french is generally their first language. I nonchalantly typed out a reply indicating my displeasure at what they wanted me to do. Unfortunately I used the word "tabernac", which I took to mean the equivalent of "you gotta be kidding".
    My bad, big time. It actually is probably the worst profanity you can use in the French language...sort of like "you're mothers & sisters are ugly----s (insert the C word here).
    After that I try to shut up & think before I type. I have seen many posts on various forums where at first you think, "is he retarded, or just illiterate"
    Then you see a name, or location, or reference, & realize he is working in a second language. I don't slag anyone for grammar or spelling anymore. My replies in either Spanish or French would make native speakers cringe.

QuoteI will try and track him down and write him a letter of apology, explaining to him that no offence was intended,

That is the best you can do. It is to bad that so many cannot swallow their pride & do this. It could have prevented much grief, & a few wars

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I'm just weighing in as Dutchman here. the-renovator literally asked: "Where do you live?" and this is actually a normal question in Dutch. So in my opinion Ronald is overreacting.

But this being a international forum does mean that you should watch out what you say.

--
    Stefan, Denmark.
    H14,H16,P16,P18,SC17,N5.8
    Team StaySail
    http://www.staysail.eu
    --
  • I'm just weighing in as Dutchman here. the-renovator literally asked: "Where do you live?" and this is actually a normal question in Dutch. So in my opinion Ronald is overreacting.

i agree.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • klozhaldI added a matching single block on the new boom bail and re-routed the sheet to include it, increasing the purchase.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90947&g2_serialNumber=4

If you enlarge the pic (click on it) you can just see the extra bail on the boom with the single block, just forward of the original triple block.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Hi guys, back to the subject of this string; I picked up a P15 last spring and have been learning the ropes on Chesapeake Bay over the past 8 months - having a great time and I am really happy with the boat!! All the best.

--
    Virginiasailor
    Prindle 15
    --
  • Have a quick question for the Hobie Guru's, as mentioned before, am planning to rig my P15 with a jib using the Hobie style hanks:- are these hanks designed to clamp around the forestay that runs through the jib luff pocket on most H16's? My jib just came back from the sail loft and on closer examination the hanks are attached through the sail material on the jib luff, my concern is that the material will tear when wind-force acts on the jib. If there was a stay running through the luff pocket, the hanks could clamp around the stay thus distributing the load.

Thanks
    renovator
  • http://www.murrays.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/50-22090001.jpg

If you look at the above hank, you see where the screw inserts, allowing the hank to be tightened onto the luff, the tear-drop shape of the opening behind the attachment point suggests that the hank clamps around a circular stay.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.