Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 15  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• Went to pick up a P16 advertised on CL, only it turned out to be a Prindle 15, so I picked it up anyway. I now have 2 options, renovate the P15, add a jib, and sell it as a complete boat, or part it out.

Hulls - solid
    Rudders - very good
    Castings - same
    Mast - straight, has some gouges
    Sail - excellent
    Tiller Connector -
    Hiking Stick -

Need some feed-back
  • p 15 is a fun single hander...doesn't like heavy weight- with or without jib... my buddy had one but ended up with a p 16, the 16 can carry so much more. but if your solo, it's cool!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Sell it, unless you plan on sailing solo all the time. Or sell it, unless you weigh 150 lb or less. Disliked the P15, bought a P16, as Capt. Coastrat describes above, loved the P16. 2 cents. clap

--
    Hank, Hattiesburg, Mississippi, P16 - "Sideways"
    --
  • Thanks sailors, I don't plan to keep this P15, I have a P16, I just wanted to know if there is a market for a complete boat, if not, dump the hulls and part out rest of boat.
  • I have parted out a lot of boats in the past ten years, but I have never owned a P15--I don't think I could sleep at night if I parted one out! I really wanted one as a step-up form my Hobie 14, until I found a Supercat 15. End of story.

I finally saw one this summer and it is a pretty cool boat! They are not made for a lot of weight, but they look like really fun single handers. Prindles in general are great boats.

I think most people would like to see it sold to someone who would finish it and enjoy it.
  • The Round Texel race in Holland usually has around 400 entries (had 600 years ago) and they race the 52 miles on Texel rating handicap. Prindle 15 came in 2nd about 5 years ago. Pete
  • Would be a shame to part it out, there are not a lot parts that are desirable for other boats. I always thought it was a cool boat, but never owned one. Tried to buy one once but the owner preferred to let it sit unused. It would make a fine boat for a couple beginner kids.

--
    Daniel Evans
    N I20 Miami FL
    N I20, N 6.0NA, H 20, H 16 Chesapeake bay
    I have a hard time passing up a good deal on a big cat.
    --
  • The P15 cleaned up really good, have an extra P16 forestay which I will cut down to fit the P15, plan to add a jib using the same ring and "S" hook setup, have both the Hobie beam mounted jib blocks as well as the Prindle tramp jib blocks, still undecided which way to go, am leaning towards the beam blocks with a small jib that sits forward of the mast just to keep the tramp clean, but there again, a larger jib will give me more sail area. The jib will have the hobie style hanks attaching it to the forestay instead of a zipper pocket, gonna make this P15 into a little rocket....... idee
  • The boat was designed to be a Cat Rig boat and will perform best if left alone. Do you see the A Cat sailors putting a jib on thier boats. If left as is the boat will scream to weather. I was looking for one a few years ago and I turned down 3 that I came across because they all were converted. Yes I could have reversed the process but they had drilled holes in the crossbars for jib blocks etc. and I wanted a true P15, one had even put a P16 mast on it. In my opinion if you want a P16 just find a P16. All you end up with is a P15 1/2
  • If I had an A Cat, I would put a jib on it, they look silly with just a single sail, all that design and technology, and only 1 sail... mischuge

more sail area = more speed...... twinker
  • OK, OK, slow down, everyone. You're missing the point on a few things.

First, A cats are dead sexy with just one sail. We can't add a jib because of the class rule about sail size. Randy Smythe tried to add a jib to his A cat and it didn't work out well. It was like 8 feet tall and about had about a 12" foot. He had to take some area out of the main to meet the rules, but he just couldn't get it to work, at least, yet. Randy is a sharp guy and will make it happen, I'm sure.

The A cats do extremely well both up wind and off. The masts are about 30 feet tall and with a very narrow sail, they are very fast. Adding a jib would change the geometry and it just wouldn't help. Being a single handed boat, it would be tough to adjust the jib properly from the wire. Just leave them alone!

OK, on the other hand, boats like the Prindle 15, Hobie 14 and Supercat 15 are all unis, but actually do pretty well with jibs. I'm using these three as examples because I have experience with them (not so much with a Prindle). The Hobie 14 uni is faster than a Turbo on a race course. The Turbo can't sail as close to the wind and jibes downwind. The uni is a pointing mf'er and sails almost dead down wind the fastest. The Turbo is REALLY fast on a reach. Adding the jib does give more power, but tends to make the boat even more nose-heavy.

The Supercats carve up wind like no other. I added a self-tacking jib to my 15 because a)it was a pretty cool thing to do and b)I single hand, so a self tacker makes it easier. Since it is a small, non overlapping jib, I do get performance both up wind and down, but I lose performance down wind in the light stuff due to the nature of the jib sail. If you have ever seen me race the thing, I have the leeward bow almost under water when going upwind. It looks funny, but I can out point a Hobie 16 easily. Hey, it aint bragging if it's true (Mohamad Ali said that..)

I could only compare the Prindle to the Supercat 15 and Hobie 14. Adding the jib would make it faster on a beam reach, but taking the portsmouth hit on an A-C course wouldn't be worth it. It adds another string to pull, too. If you are pleasure sailing, it would make it more fun.
  • Quote We can't add a jib because of the class rule about sail size.
    ......and that, my friend, is why I dont race, too many rules and regulations.

But you do make some good points Dan, as a recreational sailor with a need for speed, I agree, throw a "hanky" jib on the front of a H14, P15 or SC15 and you increase performance, with both speed and tacking ability. But Elias also has a point, and I will not drill holes in the front cross-beam to mount the Hobie style jib blocks, I saw some pics of a G-Cat and will install pigtails using the anchor bar and tang method and go with the tramp style jib blocks.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=87373&g2_serialNumber=3

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=87369&g2_serialNumber=4

That way, I stay with the Prindle design, but can remove the jib and blocks if needed, keeping it authentic and maintaining the integrity of the crossbeam.
  • Does anyone know if the P15 had a boom, and if it did were the dimensions the same as the boom on the P16 but just a little shorter, and if it was shorter does anyone know the length of the boom? Might have to source a P16 boom and cut it down....... sad
  • Rigged the P15 for the 1st time today, new shrouds arrived and were quickly attached. Have the boat on the trailer backwards and attached mast step link pin to mast base, man-handled the mast up pretty easily. Just waiting on new tramp, will have that installed soon, can then work on dimensions for the custom jib.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=100895&g2_serialNumber=4

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ctures/?g2_itemId=100876
  • Yes the P-15 has a boom, it is listed as different from the P16 boom. More than likely just the location of the bale is different. Ask the forum for a P15 sailor to measure for you. I have a few extra P16 booms if you can not locate one close to you.
    the-renovatorDoes anyone know if the P15 had a boom, and if it did were the dimensions the same as the boom on the P16 but just a little shorter, and if it was shorter does anyone know the length of the boom? Might have to source a P16 boom and cut it down....... sad
  • I have used a P15 boom on a P16 and it worked well; I'm assuming the reverse would render similar results.

--
    --
  • Thanks HullFlyer, will contact you as soon as I figure out if the previous owner still has the original boom lying around at his lakefront cottage. Hank, would you happen to have the original measurements on the boom from your P15?

renovator
  • I'll try to remember to take measurements this weekend, but I recall the following:
    I had the P15 first, didn't care for it, bought a P16. The boom that came with the P16 had a main sheet system that I'd never seen before. the main sheet connected to the boom in two seperate places. Because of this, the first time we took the P16 out, I brought both the P15 and the P16 boom. When I layed them down side-by-side, they were the same length, had the same tear-drop cross-sectional shape, looked alike in every way, except for that dang-ole weird (to me)main, so I simply put the P15 boom on the P16, along with the main sheet I'd been using on the P15 and everything worked as expected.

In summary, if the boom that came with the P16 was indeed "stock", and the boom that came with the P15 was also "stock", they are interchangable with "no worries man".

--
    --
  • Hank, thanks for the info, I measured the foot of my P16 sail -
    7' 7.5"
    then I measured the foot of my P15 sail -
    7' 7"
    so there is only 1/2" difference.

Have a P16 boom on order from HULLFLYER.

Strange about that main-sheet setup, both my P15 and my P16 have the same loose-foot sail setup, luff of sail is fixed to the mast in the sail track, insert tack of sail into track at opening and then crank on the downhaul. Fix clew of sail in out-haul car on the boom, crank on out-haul, attach 6:1 blocks to boom hanger and traveler car, go sail.

I will say this, I have a set of 6:1 Harken old-style blocks that are different to the low-profile blocks in that they have the 3 upper blocks separate, 1 double block, 1 single block, hanging off of 2 separate hangers on the boom, works, but weird.
  • excellent. http://www.thebeachcats.c…713&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

--
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.