Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Questions for Clearwater area sailors  Bottom

• Hi everyone, my name is Bill and this is my first post. I've been lurking for a couple of months trying to learn what I can from the forums. I don't have a cat yet, but check the classifieds everyday. I'm contemplating a move to the Clearwater, Florida area and have several questions. I will be sailing by myself (when I do get a cat) unless some adventurous sailor would like to come with me. I've sailed on H16's and my friend's P-Cat, but my heart is leaning toward a Nacra. I'm around 200#.

1. Where are some of the better areas to sail? Clearwater, Dunedin, Palm Harbor?
    2. Is mast-up storage available or do most sailors trailer their boat?
    3. Are sting rays an issue there? I got stung at Long Beach, Ca. and don't want to go through that again.
    4. Are there beachcat communities/sites that will welcome new cat sailors? I've tried to find people here in the L.A. area to communicate with, but I've struck out. I've heard that beachcat sailing is dying here.
    5. Is the water there really that warm all year around?
    6. How often does the wind exceed 10 knots?

I've seen the answers to a couple of these questions over the past month, but either can't find it again or forgot. Thanking all respondents in advance.

Bill
    Los Angeles area
    No cat yet

--
    Bill
    Nacra 5.5 SL
    Redondo Beach, CA
    --
  • 1. Where are some of the better areas to sail? Clearwater, Dunedin, Palm Harbor?
    Dunedin causeway or clearwater sailing center - both areas have gulf/beach sailng

2. Is mast-up storage available - yes at the clearwater sailing center (on sand key)
    for about 1200 year (with membership) or do most sailors trailer their boat? both are utilized depending on your needs

3. Are sting rays an issue there? I got stung at Long Beach, Ca. and don't want to go through that again.
    There are 100,000's of them here. You can see them pop 2' in the air out of the water or see 1000's of leopard rays zoom under your boat in huge packs. in my 19 years here, and 12 years sailing here ... i have never seen anyone stung.. but it defiantly does happen. they suggest you "shuffle" through the waters to avoid being stung...

4. Are there beachcat communities/sites that will welcome new cat sailors? I've tried to find people here in the L.A. area to communicate with, but I've struck out. I've heard that beachcat sailing is dying here.
    there is a local fleet that would love new members (as long as your not a big headed, stubborn prick who is more competitive than personable ...) and the sailing center has programs and events all the time if that is your "thang". there are other fleets (Sarasota squadron) and locations (gulfport yacht club) within about an hours drive.. depending on your goals and needs.

5. Is the water there really that warm all year around? - The water is bath water in the summer (close to 90*) and gets in the 50's in the winter. you can sail year round depending on what "cold" is to you. but winter sailing still need cold weather gear. I will no longer sail in below 60* air and this year is predicted to be colder than usual so i see dry pants (bib) in my future

6. How often does the wind exceed 10 knots? Light to moderate are the norm, but every day after the sea breeze kicks in we get a nice 10 knot wind.
    spring/summer pattern is: prevailing easterly winds, turn around around 1pm with the seabreeze, fall gets windy with cold fronts,
  • I've lived in the Clearwater beach for 25 years and I can ditto what MN3 said.
  • anyone come as far south as Venice? i've been struggling to find a place where you can launch a beach cat directly on to the beach. there are a ton of ramps along the intercostal, but they require going out the jetty and i'm hesitant to rely on a narrow, east facing, non-speed-restricted channel to get in the gulf..
  • MN3, thanks for a thorough reply. I'd rather read from someone who has lived/sailed there than look through charts and graphs. Three day ago, there were several small craft warnings here and we thought we'd get some good sailing in. Turns out is was glassy and we just stayed on shore.

Bill
    Los Angeles

--
    Bill
    Nacra 5.5 SL
    Redondo Beach, CA
    --
  • QuoteThree day ago, there were several small craft warnings here and we thought we'd get some good sailing in.

we have had them too thanks to Sandy
    lots of wind, no sailing
  • kfunkapotamusanyone come as far south as Venice? i've been struggling to find a place where you can launch a beach cat directly on to the beach. there are a ton of ramps along the intercostal, but they require going out the jetty and i'm hesitant to rely on a narrow, east facing, non-speed-restricted channel to get in the gulf..

Charlotte Harbor Beach Park - EXCELLENT mono & tri sailing.
    http://www.charlottecount…s/PortCharlotteBeach.asp

Don't forget the http://www.charlotteharborregatta.com

Edited by stuff4toys on Oct 29, 2012 - 08:30 PM.

--
    Hobie 16 & 17, WindRider 16 & 17 and various monohull sailboats.
    Hobie Sailing Dealer - WindRider Dealer - Port Charlotte, FL
    http://www.JMBoatStuff.com
    --
  • that looks awesome! i hadn't made it that far south in my google map searching. not even that far from where i'd be parking the boat.

do you know any places where there is mast-up storage?
  • I was stung by a stingray two years ago off Fort Desoto (southernmost part of St Pete) while kiteboarding. Shuffle is key. Don't ever step straight down into the water. Plenty of wind for sailing, winter months are the best. Watch the current at the mouth of the bay if you end up that far south. It runs hard on an ebb. Never saw too many cats out, but inside the bay would be quite nice. I've raced out the bay before and in the winter, the gulf can get a bit nasty in a storm. There are two temperatures in the Tampa Bay area, HOT and WARM. It rarely gets cold. If the sun is out, you can sail year round.

--
    Brian B.
    Moyock, NC
    --
  • Mast Up Storage is tough around here, all the public access land is county owned and pretty restrictive. We are in the process of setting up a beach rental operation and will have a few Hobies setup, but I am not sure about others boats.

--
    --
  • when do you think you'll have your rental operation going? i've got the wife about 80% convinced that we NEED a beach cat, i think if i could get her on one i'd be over the ledge ;)
  • kfunkapotamuswhen do you think you'll have your rental operation going? i've got the wife about 80% convinced that we NEED a beach cat, i think if i could get her on one i'd be over the ledge ;)

I PM'd you

--
    --
  • Quotewhen do you think you'll have your rental operation going? i've got the wife about 80% convinced that we NEED a beach cat, i think if i could get her on one i'd be over the ledge ;)

all depends how that first sail goes...
    pick a perfect day and make sure your skills are decent.

Things like spending to much time in irons, sailing in heavy & wet conditions, cold crew, or an unintended capsize are all things that could make someone (crew) never want to go out again...

conversely a good ride can convert a land lubber into a life long fan

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.