Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 16 rudders stuck down  Bottom

• I picked up a 1980, new to me Prindle 16. The seller removed the rudders and rudder castings as a whole unit before I had the boat shipped. I intalled the rudder units along with the tiller. Rudder system works great but I cant seem to unlock the rudders from the down position. Any help please. I am new to beach cats but grew up sailing a Catalina 25. I was going to dive into the problem today but was hoping for some direction first. I searched the topic but really couldn't find info on my specific issue

Jared

--
    Jared - Seattle,WA
    1980 Prindle 16
    --
  • check your private messages
  • Mount the rudders onto the transom, have someone sit on the tramp and pull on the "up" line, that will lift the locking pin, same time you grab the rudder and pull, the lock bolt has been adjusted too far in, causing the rudders to lock in the down position. This method will work only if your rudder lines have been reaved correctly, check the above link for feeding the rudder lines.
  • Pull the down line and hold tension on it, before pulling the up line. This will compress the spring a bit more than pulling the up line alone, and allow the rudder to unlock more easily. You may have to mount them back on the transom first, as stated above.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • jchristI picked up a 1980, new to me Prindle 16.
    Jared

Welcome to TheBeachcats.com Jared, and welcome to the-renovator as well, thanks for participating right away. See my signature for instructions on setting up your cool avatar and signature.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Thanks to Renovator for the phone call and help. I appreciate all the info and help with my problem.
    Thanks to everyone else for the additional info and warm welcome! icon_biggrin

Jared

--
    Jared - Seattle,WA
    1980 Prindle 16
    --
  • I lost my cool avatar and sig at some point.. Any idea what happened?

DamonLinkous
    jchristI picked up a 1980, new to me Prindle 16.
    Jared

Welcome to TheBeachcats.com Jared, and welcome to the-renovator as well, thanks for participating right away. See my signature for instructions on setting up your cool avatar and signature.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • yurdleI lost my cool avatar and sig at some point.. Any idea what happened?

No, have you tried to create them again? Don't know how they could just disappear, haven't heard that from anyone else. Let me know what happens when you do them again.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • I added a sig after I noticed it. I did notice it on someone else...maybe Andrew? Don't remember for sure who it was. I'll add a pic one of these days. I've got no reason to think it was more than a one time deal.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • I tried to change my profile pic several times a couple of weeks ago. Nothing seemed to work so I gave up. Several days later my new pic appeared as my avatar.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • QuotePull the down line and hold tension on it, before pulling the up line. This will compress the spring a bit more than pulling the up line alone, and allow the rudder to unlock more easily.

The springs on the Prindles are tension springs, not compression springs, the fact that he cannot break the rudder free by pulling on the bottom of the rudder indicates that the tension springs are working good and that the lock-bolt is in good condition, just needs to be adjusted out slightly to "relieve the tension" icon_lol
  • Congrats on the b /b tags. I couldn't care less what you call the springs.

I've owned a Prindle, and I know that pulling both lines to raise a properly rigged, and tight, rudder works wonderfully.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • too funny Rob.

"Pile of Nacra parts"

--
    Gordon
    Nacra 5.5SL
    --
  • I was too lazy to put the strikeouts on the old boats when I put on the sig..I figured the 'pile' was more accurate anyway.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • I uploaded a new avatar, and it said, "Congrats, here's your old avatar back!' Uhh..

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • yurdleI uploaded a new avatar, and it said, "Congrats, here's your old avatar back!' Uhh..

When you go to Avatar Management you should see the Avatars that you have uploaded along with some generic ones. Usually just clicking on the Avatar you want switches to that one. Because of browser caching you might have to clear cache or restart your browser to see the difference.

There is also a link at the bottom of Avatar Management

Deactivate your avatar
    If you don't want that an avatar is displayed for you, then please click here to clear your avatar.

Try clearing your avatar, restart the browser, go back and choose your avatar.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • I bet I've been through 5 laptops/hard drives since I last uploaded an avatar. I seriously doubt it's a caching issue.

After uploading the new one, it said something like 'you have selected filenamexx.jpg as your avatar' in a message at the top, where filenamexx is whatever the name of my current avatar is . Looking through the list I saw all of the generic ones, as well as the one pic I had uploaded (my current avatar) prior to uploading the new avatar pic, which wasn't in the list. I'll go back and check and see if the new one appears in the list. Hope that helps.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • WHA?? now it's the new pic.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • QuoteCongrats on the b /b tags. I couldn't care less what you call the springs.

Well, blow me......down, is Rob of OKC having a little nancy-boy hissy-fit??? cry2

Edited by the-renovator on Oct 21, 2012 - 08:40 PM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.