Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 450 or 430  Bottom

• Anybody have experience with the Nacra 450 or 430?
    175 pound solo sailor.
  • 175 is plenty heavy for a 16 footer.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • You are a little big for any of the 400 series nacras. Unless you intend on only sailing alone. Max crew weight is around your weight for that boat. Look for a 500 or other 16ft boat.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Thanks. I'll bow to your expertise.
    I sail mostly by myself, but my wife does like to come along occasionally.
  • I'm 165lbs and I have spent a lot of time on a 450. I wouldn't go any smaller if I were you. I can schlepp the boat around the beach by myself, right it by myself and it is a GREAT single-hander!!! When the hull comes out of the water, the boat just carves up wind!

It is a little sluggish with two people on board, but you mention sailing mostly solo--go for it! Great boat!
  • Thanks, Dan.
    I am really looking for a boat I can move by myself, right by myself (not that that would ever happen) and single hand.
    I hate to rely on finding someone else (wife) to sail with me.
  • If you solo much of the time, spring for roller furling. It really makes life easy. You WILL end up going out in winds that push the envelope of your experience, or end up having to dock in very gusty conditions. Getting rid of the jib before you hit the dock makes life easier.
    I'm speaking for a 19' boat, but even the 16' is getting furling this winter.
    Several times I have gone out in big wind & left the jib furled. Within the hour the wind died to 15, just uncleat & let it roll out.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.