Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Raking my rudders and balancing my boat  Bottom

• is there a Trick or a common way of doing this? My boat is falling off if i let go of rudders, i think i see what my issues are. Just was wondering if any of you have experienced anything like this?

--
    Reynolds 21 Catamaran #38
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • you want your rudder farther backward, i dont know how you would do that on your boat.

Edited by optikid on Sep 29, 2012 - 05:58 PM.

--
    Angelo
    1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
    2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • Soul man, can you rake your mast aft? If so, that should add all the weather helm that you need. Shorten the side stays a little bit and add some length to the forestay.

--
    'life is too short to drink cheap beer'
    --
  • Aye, mast back.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • when that 'lee helm' feeling (having to push the tiller to keep the boat on line) has happened on boats that i have sailed, it was due to the fact that the rudder tips were rotated too far under the hull (forward.) once we got them back a bit, the helm became balanced. and if we rotated them backwards a bit, we got weather helm (having to pull on the tiller to keep the boat on line.)

on a nacra, there is a set screw at the bottom of the rudder casting but i'm not sure what you have on your rudders that you can adjust. even sticking a shim in there temporarily should tell you if that's the problem.

i'm also wondering why the foot of your sail it not in the mast track? you've got a batten near the foot which needs to be in the track to work properly.
    j

Edited by arch on Sep 28, 2012 - 10:48 PM.

--
    Aquacat 12 (sold)...'87 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'03 Nacra Inter18 (sold)
    Venture 15 (sold)....'89 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'91 Nacra 5.8NA (sold)
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --
  • Soul,
    You'll want to fix that lee helm quickly. A lot of weather helm is exhausting, a little weather helm is perfect, any lee helm at all is unacceptable (especially if you single-hand). If you were to fall overboard the boat would sail away without you. If you have a little weather helm, the boat would eventually put itself in irons... in most cases. Better to swim 500 yards to your boat than a mile (or much further) to shore. I know I might be preaching to the choir but it's getting to be that time of year when it's nice to be on the boat, but not very nice to be in the water.

Daemon,
    I don't know if you still have the story of Sven Schang available. Could you bump it?

-Rob

--
    Rob V.
    Panama City, FL
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.