Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Overlapping 5.2 jib vs blade jib  Bottom

• I have read where the overlapping jib on the 5. 2 is outdated and it has been found that the smaller blade jibs were more efficient. If that is true and (i really don't know) Then why aren't 5.2 skippers not having their jibs cut down. Or am I asking a stupid question?

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • On my 5.2 the down haul on the main is a very important trim sheet for the speed of the boat. The power that is generated by the jib overlaping the main is huge for the control of the overall trim of the boat.. The 5.2 loves to have her nose in the water with no keel showing and only an inch or 3 of the bow above the waterline and spray keeping the crew cool.. A small jib would improve the tramp and it's busy condition.. BUT tacking a smaller jib on the front cross bar and having a much smaller jib would seem to be an invite to less power and a sensitive trim issue, even with the mast racked back.... BUt Try it and let us know.. Would seem to really effect the downwind speed.. Put on a spin.. OK Might be OK.. Hal

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • QuoteThe 5.2 loves to have her nose in the water with no keel showing and only an inch or 3 of the bow above the waterline and spray keeping the crew cool..

^^

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • golfdad75I have read where the overlapping jib on the 5. 2 is outdated and it has been found that the smaller blade jibs were more efficient.

Possibly with a differently cut mainsail?

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • delete

Edited by erice on Sep 24, 2012 - 04:01 AM.
  • golfdad75I have read where the overlapping jib on the 5. 2 is outdated and it has been found that the smaller blade jibs were more efficient. If that is true and (i really don't know) Then why aren't 5.2 skippers not having their jibs cut down. Or am I asking a stupid question?

i don't think it is true

boats like the tornado that cut down their over lapping jibs to blade jibs

did so also make them self-tacking

(plus i think they kept the same jib area by raising the mast hound, that may have made the sail plan more efficient but that is a big mod usually meaning new masts etc.

they did all this so they could more easily add and use spins

the 5.2 is a 37yo design that sails very nicely as it is

if you want to throw 1000's of $ at it

go ahead

but you'd probably get better value by selling it for $2000? and buying an old hobie tiger for $5000
  • QuoteI have read where the overlapping jib on the 5. 2 is outdated

talking with a professional cat racer / AHPC dealer, this is very true. large overlapping jibs are old school.

modern (selftacking) jibs are more efficient (upwind)
    Downwind, size is king and most boats with self tacking jibs also fly a spin
  • I race on a variety of modern boats, Nacra 20's, F16's and F18's, as well as own a Hobie 14 and 18. My H18 has the stock mainsail and a new jib that is the same size as stock but done in mylar. I also have a F-18HT spinnaker. This boat is great on a screaming reach. Modern sail plans typically have too much mainsail area and not enough jib area to be powered up yet controllable in 20 kts+ of breeze when reaching. Its no problem on the H18, mainly because the mainsail isn't overly powerful and the jib is doing the heavy lifting without a lot of force up high. Around the course a modern boat with modern sail plan is much faster. The overlapping jib is hard to tack, and you can't point as high as with a blade jib (10 degrees off a modern boat). Downwind the large jib+spinnaker puts too much jib area forward to balance the boat and the jib must be rolled up, even then some lee helm is present. In hindsight I should have gone with the H18 SX jib when replacing my sail.
  • Soooo.. Size really does matter....at least downwind

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • samc99us The overlapping jib is hard to tack, and you can't point as high as with a blade jib (10 degrees off a modern boat).

Please elaborate on 10 degrees.
    Are you saying the blade jibs allow a cat to sail within 35 degrees of the true wind direction?

Edited by klozhald on Sep 27, 2012 - 10:33 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.