Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Boat Bite From Capsize  Bottom

• Subtitled: Don't try to catch yourself on the shroud when capsizing.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=89676&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • YEOUCH!!!

Heal fast, man.

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • Cat Bite!

I am still hurting from my last capsize. I was hit with a gust around 25 and flipped faster than i have ever seen a cat go over.

I was already on the wire (single-handed) and had a split second to get out of the harness and avoid the boom. For a change, i didn't go through the sail window (been through it about 5 times so far), but did hit both shins on the boom (bruised the bone), damaged my foot, and put my other foot through the sail (not the window) while trying to stand up.

I have never been so banged up from a capsize (even worse than the tearing my rotator cuff last fall in a capsize) and i recently realized i must have done ligament (or other) damage in my elbow as i have lost 50-60% of my strength in my left arm (when lifting above the shoulder)...

Sailing hurts... thank goodness rum makes it all go away . . .
  • I had one like that from the first time ever flew the hull and panicked and dropped the boat down so fast I almost fell off backwards. I caught myself by throwing my arm and shoulder out in front of the shroud. I was not even in the hiking straps at the time. Hurt like hell and was bruised for weeks

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • That qualifies as Kung Foo Katamaran sailing right there!

--
    82 Hobie 18 Alter Signature Model. (The Cisco Squid) Complete refit down to the rivets in 2012.
    81 H-16
    Rescue California
    --
  • QuoteDon't try to catch yourself on the shroud when capsizing
    you should see the boat!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Ha Ha....actually I'm laughing with you, not at you. We were 3 up on the 5.7 this summer in 20mph wind, broad reaching.
    As I came down a wave, I steered a bit to far downwind, dumping the speed. We had the ill luck to time that with a sudden drop in the wind. One fellow on the wire Peter Panned out and around to the mast. He would have missed it, but reached out & snagged it on the way by.
    I don't know if it was a diamond wire, or the mast, but his arm looked a lot like yours. It bruised up in minutes, so we knew the damage was shallow.
    I have sustained bruises, though not nearly to your extent, when sitting on the hull cruising, main cleated, using the shroud as a backrest, (I like a backrest on 2 hour legs). A sudden gust lifts the boat. If you slide down the tramp, you are going swimming. An arm around the shroud saves the swim, but boy does it bruise. My wife says it is not the impact, but the fact that even 1/4 of your weight being held by 5/32" area exceeds tissue strength. Essentially you are cutting through your arm with a very dull knife, & tons of surface capillaries rupture, hence the very quick discoloration. Looks even worse after it morphs into yellow & green!

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I guess we could always wrap pool noodles around the lower feet.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Damn! from the injuries I'm reading about and seeing i need to get a major thousands health insurance coverage policy and/or coat everything metal on my boat in that *fun noodle* type foam. Years ago i tore a rotatory cuff in my left shoulder..... the repair/MRI cost of that surgery alone would pay for a VERY nice brand spanking new H16!! icon_eek
    Looks like I'm going to be Very careful to not flip - or at least its going to take me alot longer to fly a hull, out on the trap solo! OR I can say F-'it and make sure I've got some stout tequila at hand icon_biggrin

Tim

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • QuoteDamn! from the injuries I'm reading about and seeing i need to get a major thousands health insurance coverage policy and/or coat everything metal on my boat in that *fun noodle* type foam.

Nah, just come to Canada to sail. Get busted up on any lake, in any Province & they send you to the nearest hospital to rebuild you. If you have the misfortune to do it in one of the Territories, they air ambulance you south to a major center. They never send you a bill, even if you have been unemployed forever, & have never paid taxes. Sometimes, if they think you cried wolf, they bill you $50 for the ambulance, but if you claim you were exhibiting symptoms of shock they will waive it.

Edited by Edchris177 on Sep 14, 2012 - 08:03 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • QuoteI was already on the wire (single-handed) and had a split second to get out of the harness and avoid the boom. For a change, i didn't go through the sail window (been through it about 5 times so far), but did hit both shins on the boom

I must be lucky, I've had several crew land on the sail, no damage so far. The 5.7 is boomless, so that removes another source of contusion & abrasion.
    Interesting how you mention getting out of the harness, do you mean unhooking then bailing?
    I have only unhooked once, when I turtled it during the Sail From Hell. It may have been the extra time on the upper hull when it was over center that contributed to full turtle.
    My approach may be wrong, but I never worry about unhooking. Solo or not, once I realize it is going over I yell "bail" (if I have crew), & jump towards the rear of the sail, landing in the water just aft of the telltales. Sometimes the bungee will break, no bigee, often I surface still on the hook. Then I unhook & take stock of the situation.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Canada is great, but i'd need a wetsuit, more vodka and a 15 hour plane ticket each way to rent a hobie somewhere near there's a white sandy beach with warm water ( +80*F ) for more than a month or two a year...I'd be happy to travel up there to crew in a wetsuit in cooler weather though... i'll bring the Molsten Beer!! Your healthcare is superior for sure, i grew up with my dad in the US Navy and lived in Scotland for many years... both of which have *near free* universal healthcare!! LOL good times brotha! icon_razz

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • C'mon, it's only 3 hours to Florida, & we get nearly 4 months warm water!
    Our season is definitely shorter than most of the US. I did a 50 mile loop on Wed, sans wetsuit, but yeah, things will start to cool off pretty soon, masts come down just after Thanksgiving, that's mid Oct for us.
    I have traveled extensively in the US, I like the California climate better than Florida, but their water is colder than ours!
    Going to check out some places around Corpus Christi this winter, once I give up alpine skiing I don't want to winter ANYWHERE in Canada.
    Cheers

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.