Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Another softball regarding drilling EPO rudders  Bottom

• I am about to drill into my refurbished EPO rudders. I have old rudders and was thinking of using them as the template but am sweating a bit since I want to get it right. I have a few questions:

1) Is it the height of folly to try to use the old rudders as template to drill the new rudders? Any advice on how to do this?
    2) I see that the old rudders have a metal sheath for the inside of the rudder bolt holes--is this necessary? Does anyone know the part #?
    3) The clamshells clamp to tightly on the old rudders to allow them to be set from the boat--apparently a known problem--we are going to sand off a bit of the extra to see if this will make it easier to set them from the boat--it's getting colder and I can already hear the arguments about who has to go in to get the rudders down in place--any other suggestions and/or words of warning? My fear is we will wind up with rudders that are too loose with all that that entails.

Thanks--I searched the forum but did not see anything--I am sure that this has been reviewed to death but figured if I have the question then probably others do as well!

Cheers,
    Reuben

Edited by reuben on Sep 09, 2012 - 11:58 AM.
  • There is a template from Hobie to help you get the proper positions. Some of the differences are slightly less than a hole away. When that happens I use a fibergleass rudder pin, drive it in the existing hole, cut off flush, then redrill.There is a difference between a hobie 16 non adjustable and hobie 16 with adjustable, and it is enough to make a difference. Some of the older Hobies have had many rudders on them. So its hard to tell if the are drilled properly for your rudder system.. This information is on the Hobie site, and if you are close to a Hobie dealer they should have the template. The metal sheath as you refer to it, is not standard on the Hobie, but it is on the Nacras, it helps prevent the hole from enlarging. There are different size lower rudder casting (the inside meas.), some of them will accept the EPO"s, some will not. There are lots of lower rudder castings around and it would be well worth it to find a pair that would work. If they are close you can check your self, but if not make sure you ask the seller to check for sure.
  • This is very helpful.

You are right--our lower rudder casting is too tight for our current old disheveled Epo rudders--our plan is to sand down the EPO a bit to make it fit a bit better.

I think that we have a non-adjustable rig. So I guess you are saying go with template rather than old rudder holes as template--suppose we could make a template from the old rudder holes as well. Getting nervous so may try to find a shop but am based overseas which adds a bit of complexity. Need to noodle over the problem a bit more.

Interesting about the NACRA sheaths--guess we will try to buy ones that fit the Hobie 16 rudder Hex bolt size--should be doable via the 'net or if I can find a Nacra dealer around here (Switzerland).

Other advice welcome--will let you know how it turns out.

Cheers,
    Reuben
  • More clarity, kind of..

The sheaths are called bushings (makes sense since sheaths are for swords)--Murray's has them--need to figure out what size to hold hex bolts.

can anyone recommend the best type of paint for our old fiberglass rudders? Will regular stuff do or do I need marine grade paint. Was thinking of using spray paint--is that a bad idea?

sanding in progress--will let you know how they turn out..

Still too timid to drill the new refilled ones--may seek local on-site help.

cheers
    reuben

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.