Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Are there weak design issues 2001 NACRA F17?  Bottom

• I am looking at a 2001 F17.
    Are there any peculiar issues to look for? Any known weak areas or items that wear out prematurely?
    I read there would be are generation 1 rudders and "twitchy", but are they prone to any breakage problems? Are the gudgeons generally strong?
    What should I expect from twitchy?
    I've looked through the "Ultimate Buyers Guide" but it is a bit out dated for this model. Other advice there is timeless.
    Seems like a good boat for my purposes.
    Thanks for any insight.
    Regards,

--
    Mooched Beachcats in the past
    Time to try ownership with Nacra 5.7
    Port Clinton, Lake Erie Islands, Ohio
    --
  • I like mine. The vinylester is pretty strong -- I've hit rocks, hard, with a few boats now. I'm not aware of anything structural design-wise. (don't hit rocks though...actually just stop reading now, I can't tell you anything else with more certainty..)

That said, always look for galvanic corrosion...it can provide endless entertaining surprises.

My rudders are definitely 'twitchy' but one of them is raked a touch too far forward, and due to said corrosion, I can't move the damn thing back. 'Twitchy', to me, has meant extremely easy to cavitate. It's not horrible if I'm solo, which is most times, but I do have to constantly make little S-turn motions to keep the water flowing when I turn down with the hull up. (ie upwind trying not to drop the hull back down). If I have someone else on board and I'm flying a hull with my stuck rudder casting being the one in the water, it'll cavitate constantly.

Also, as someone else said in another thread here in the last day or two, the I17 isn't wonderful with chop. Medium-High wind has been lots of fun in my experience as long as the chop is manageable.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Thank you for the response.

--
    Mooched Beachcats in the past
    Time to try ownership with Nacra 5.7
    Port Clinton, Lake Erie Islands, Ohio
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.