Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Smyth Sails ????  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I just picked up a set of sails for my P16, a CL find, arrived today and they have "Sails by Smyth", Huntington Beach, CA. They seem to be either stiffer/crisper than normal, maybe a heavier material, and they are white, and in excellent condition, paid $200 for main, jib and battens.

Can anyone tell me anything about these sails or the sailmaker?

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Smyth sails are always well-made sails,
    For 200$ you got a good set of sails.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • Smyth makes good sails, legend in the sport.

http://www.catsailor.com/hall_fame/RandySmyth.html

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I *think* Schurr makes the sails he designs.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • yurdleI *think* Schurr makes the sails he designs.

I just ordered and received a set from smyth for my N20 (gone open 20) His sails have not been made by Schurr in 3-4 years. Mine came from the Philippines.

Turbohobo, sounds like your sails were designed by smyth and built by Glaser, I believe that is where they are located.

Edited by bacho on Aug 23, 2012 - 08:49 PM.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • I have a similar set of heavy white sails for my P18. Can't remember the maker but they might be the same.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • being heavier/crisper are they racing sails?

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • bacho
    yurdleI *think* Schurr makes the sails he designs.

I just ordered and received a set from smyth for my N20 (gone open 20) His sails have not been made by Schurr in 3-4 years. Mine came from the Philippines.

Turbohobo, sounds like your sails were designed by smyth and built by Glaser, I believe that is where they are located.Edited by bacho on Aug 23, 2012 - 08:49 PM.

Interesting. Do you use portsmouth for open 20 when against other type boats?

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • turbohobobeing heavier/crisper are they racing sails?

No idea I bought mine used on the classifieds here can't say I can tell if there is a for sure I provment over my tequila sunrise set or not. My wife hates that they are just white because she can't tell me part from the other boats

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • yurdle

Open 20 has a rating at the moment, but that's a whole separate debate for another thread.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Quarath
    turbohobobeing heavier/crisper are they racing sails?
    White sails are normally made from a heavier cloth, 5-6 oz. Colored sails are made from less dense material so they can accept the color dye roughly 3.8 oz

No idea I bought mine used on the classifieds here can't say I can tell if there is a for sure I provment over my tequila sunrise set or not. My wife hates that they are just white because she can't tell me part from the other boats
  • Jay and Pease Glaser still have their loft in Huntington Beach, California.
    Smyth is based in Fort Walton Beach, Florida.
    Turbohobo, you just bought some hot rod cloth for your P16. I suspect they are from the 80's, just before Smyth and Glaser formed Danger Sails. Somebody took good care of them.

turbohobobeing heavier/crisper are they racing sails?

Probably ocean racing sails. You are going to need to learn to trim these sails a bit more precisely than the standard issue sails. Don't get discouraged by the learning curve. Fast will take some time to learn.

QuarathMy wife hates that they are just white because she can't tell me part from the other boats

Tell your wife to look for the white blur on the horizon-- that'll be you.

Edited by klozhald on Aug 24, 2012 - 05:58 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I e-mailed Randy and got this response:-

Hi Robert:

You’ve got some ‘state of the art’ P16 race sails from the late 1980’s. Today I’m building P16 Mains with Square Top Heads and more modern materials.

Have fun,

Randy

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • I'm missing the top 3 battens for these Smyth sails, they are "black racing battens", anyone know where I can source these?

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • They sound like the foam core fiberglass sandwich battens that came with the sail originally. It is going to be hard to find the right ones on CL or eBay. Maybe somebody here has some, like pbegle. Shoot him a private message, and see if anybody here has a few.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Probably overkill since you I'll not like be racing one offs. Just put some reg battens in and sail it.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • Check MURRAYS CAT BATTEN FOAM I think they used to be call black magic battens.

www.murrays.com
  • klozhaldThey sound like the foam core fiberglass sandwich battens that came with the sail originally. It is going to be hard to find the right ones on CL or eBay. Maybe somebody here has some, like pbegle. Shoot him a private message, and see if anybody here has a few.
    The original foam battens where sort of yellow in color like fiberglass. Later after market black magic battens were made, they are not as wide as the originals but of better quality materials.
  • bacho
    yurdle

Open 20 has a rating at the moment, but that's a whole separate debate for another thread.

Yes it does, and a sham of a rating at that... like you said a whole other discussion...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • hullflyerThe original foam battens where sort of yellow in color like fiberglass. Later after market black magic battens were made, they are not as wide as the originals but of better quality materials.

Sorry, I meant that the original Smyth battens were the black ones.
    I had a set for my P16 Smyth main back in the eighties. The stock Prindle battens were the natural resin colors, but SurfGlas did offer an upgrade to the same black battens Smyth used-for a price.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.