Smyth Sails ????

I just picked up a set of sails for my P16, a CL find, arrived today and they have "Sails by Smyth", Huntington Beach, CA. They seem to be either stiffer/crisper than normal, maybe a heavier material, and they are white, and in excellent condition, paid $200 for main, jib and battens.

Can anyone tell me anything about these sails or the sailmaker?

--
TurboHobo
H14T
H16
P18
G-Cat 5.0
P16
--
Smyth sails are always well-made sails,
For 200$ you got a good set of sails.

--
Tyler holmes
Panama city, FL

Boat whore
--
Smyth makes good sails, legend in the sport.

http://www.catsailor.com/hall_fame/RandySmyth.html

--
Dave Bonin
1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
--
I *think* Schurr makes the sails he designs.

--
Rob
OKC
Pile of Nacra parts..
--
yurdleI *think* Schurr makes the sails he designs.

I just ordered and received a set from smyth for my N20 (gone open 20) His sails have not been made by Schurr in 3-4 years. Mine came from the Philippines.

Turbohobo, sounds like your sails were designed by smyth and built by Glaser, I believe that is where they are located.

Edited by bacho on Aug 23, 2012 - 08:49 PM.

--
Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
--
I have a similar set of heavy white sails for my P18. Can't remember the maker but they might be the same.

--
Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
Member: Utah Sailing Association
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
--
being heavier/crisper are they racing sails?

--
TurboHobo
H14T
H16
P18
G-Cat 5.0
P16
--
bacho
yurdleI *think* Schurr makes the sails he designs.

I just ordered and received a set from smyth for my N20 (gone open 20) His sails have not been made by Schurr in 3-4 years. Mine came from the Philippines.

Turbohobo, sounds like your sails were designed by smyth and built by Glaser, I believe that is where they are located.Edited by bacho on Aug 23, 2012 - 08:49 PM.

Interesting. Do you use portsmouth for open 20 when against other type boats?

--
Rob
OKC
Pile of Nacra parts..
--
turbohobobeing heavier/crisper are they racing sails?

No idea I bought mine used on the classifieds here can't say I can tell if there is a for sure I provment over my tequila sunrise set or not. My wife hates that they are just white because she can't tell me part from the other boats

--
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
yurdle

Open 20 has a rating at the moment, but that's a whole separate debate for another thread.

--
Greenville SC

--
Quarath
White sails are normally made from a heavier cloth, 5-6 oz. Colored sails are made from less dense material so they can accept the color dye roughly 3.8 oz

No idea I bought mine used on the classifieds here can't say I can tell if there is a for sure I provment over my tequila sunrise set or not. My wife hates that they are just white because she can't tell me part from the other boats
Jay and Pease Glaser still have their loft in Huntington Beach, California.
Smyth is based in Fort Walton Beach, Florida.
Turbohobo, you just bought some hot rod cloth for your P16. I suspect they are from the 80's, just before Smyth and Glaser formed Danger Sails. Somebody took good care of them.

Probably ocean racing sails. You are going to need to learn to trim these sails a bit more precisely than the standard issue sails. Don't get discouraged by the learning curve. Fast will take some time to learn.

QuarathMy wife hates that they are just white because she can't tell me part from the other boats

Tell your wife to look for the white blur on the horizon-- that'll be you.

Edited by klozhald on Aug 24, 2012 - 05:58 PM.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
I e-mailed Randy and got this response:-

Hi Robert:

You’ve got some ‘state of the art’ P16 race sails from the late 1980’s. Today I’m building P16 Mains with Square Top Heads and more modern materials.

Have fun,

Randy

--
TurboHobo
H14T
H16
P18
G-Cat 5.0
P16
--
I'm missing the top 3 battens for these Smyth sails, they are "black racing battens", anyone know where I can source these?

--
TurboHobo
H14T
H16
P18
G-Cat 5.0
P16
--
They sound like the foam core fiberglass sandwich battens that came with the sail originally. It is going to be hard to find the right ones on CL or eBay. Maybe somebody here has some, like pbegle. Shoot him a private message, and see if anybody here has a few.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
Arizona, USA
--
Probably overkill since you I'll not like be racing one offs. Just put some reg battens in and sail it.

--
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
Check MURRAYS CAT BATTEN FOAM I think they used to be call black magic battens.

www.murrays.com
klozhaldThey sound like the foam core fiberglass sandwich battens that came with the sail originally. It is going to be hard to find the right ones on CL or eBay. Maybe somebody here has some, like pbegle. Shoot him a private message, and see if anybody here has a few.
The original foam battens where sort of yellow in color like fiberglass. Later after market black magic battens were made, they are not as wide as the originals but of better quality materials.
bacho
yurdle

Open 20 has a rating at the moment, but that's a whole separate debate for another thread.

Yes it does, and a sham of a rating at that... like you said a whole other discussion...

--
John Schwartz
Ventura, CA
--
hullflyerThe original foam battens where sort of yellow in color like fiberglass. Later after market black magic battens were made, they are not as wide as the originals but of better quality materials.

Sorry, I meant that the original Smyth battens were the black ones.
I had a set for my P16 Smyth main back in the eighties. The stock Prindle battens were the natural resin colors, but SurfGlas did offer an upgrade to the same black battens Smyth used-for a price.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
Arizona, USA
--
Thanks Elias, and you too Bob, these battens have coloured layers, black, redish-orange, black, there is a label, it is faded, I can read "black racing", nothing else. I think I found similar battens at West Marine, they are a little cheaper than Murrays, what do you guys think?

http://www.westmarine.com…ssNum=50116#.UDqYkaDAGq0

http://content.westmarine.com/images/catalog/large/12802492.jpg

--
TurboHobo
H14T
H16
P18
G-Cat 5.0
P16
--
Thanks Elias, you too Bob, I think West Marine has something similar

http://content.westmarine.com/images/catalog/large/12802492.jpg

http://www.westmarine.com…ssNum=50116#.UDqdP6DAGq1

What do you think?

--
TurboHobo
H14T
H16
P18
G-Cat 5.0
P16
--
do you have email for smyth? I am interested in a square top quote

--
85 Prindle 16
"If you aint the lead dog the view never changes"
North Carolina
--
Smythsails@cox.net

--
Greenville SC

--
Thx Much Bacho

--
85 Prindle 16
"If you aint the lead dog the view never changes"
North Carolina
--
QuoteThanks Elias, you too Bob, I think West Marine has something similar

http://www.westmarine.com…ssNum=50116#.UDqdP6DAGq1

What do you think?

I think that these are too thick. The upper three battens on a 16 main are all thinner than the lower battens by at least half. You need them thin to allow some draft. Flat panels at the top will not do much good.

I would start by asking Smyth and Glaser sails if they have any foam battens for your pinhead sail. They will know exactly what to send you if they have them. Murrays may be more expensive, but they will also know what will work on your sail. West Marine will not know, so it will fall on you to make the correct selection.

And at this point, I wouldn't worry about the color as much as getting foam core battens in the correct size.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
Arizona, USA
--
Prindle Pete had some battens for me to complete the set for my Smyth sails, he also supplied me with main halyard and a hiking stick, I took the P16 out on a blustery 15 mph windy day and had an awesome sail. I put some tension on the battens, the sail has 2 3-sheave bullit blocks attached to the tack, 1 on each side, giving me ridiculous downhaul, found I have so much more control of the "boat", could get a 45 degree angle on the hulls and was able to hold it there with minimum effort. Needless to say, spent the day flying a hull.

ficktmich

Edited by turbohobo on Sep 25, 2012 - 08:44 PM.

--
TurboHobo
H14T
H16
P18
G-Cat 5.0
P16
--
Have a complete set of Seaman glas/foam core P-16 battens available. Pete