Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

single hand H 16?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I have my H-18 up and going. I have stumbled on a nice H-16. I like restoring these boats and this one needs almost nothing. It's very reasonably priced. I need a boat for single handing as I cant depend on having a crew. What is the opinion of the H-16? I am low time cat sailor but it seems to come reasonably easy to me. I had much FJ time a hundred years ago. I am a 230 lb non slob.

Is this a reasonable single hand boat? Being as I have one Hobie, it seems sensible to go Hobie. I have started to learn the parts and pieces from the total H-18 resto I just finished. Maybe I am thinking wrong here?

--
    82 Hobie 18 Alter Signature Model. (The Cisco Squid) Complete refit down to the rivets in 2012.
    81 H-16
    Rescue California
    --
  • I (210lbs) and my fiancé (135lbs) both solo my h16 often. No problems here.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Nice quick cat for sailing solo, makes you want to "push the envelope", make sure you learn to right it solo...

Edited by turbohobo on Aug 23, 2012 - 07:11 PM.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Shouldn't be a problem, after sailing the H18 the 16 will seem very small and easy to sail. At 230 you should be able to right solo, although try it a few times. With such low volume hulls H16 can sometimes be a trick to right.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Being in California, particularly Nor Cal, it seems that Hobie's are plentiful when compared to Nacra or Prindle boats. I did see one mid 80's Prindle. It was impressive in terms of fit and finish. Nice piece.

In terms of righting, what do you folks prefer for a rig? If I just need a big assd bag of stale water, I'll take the mother in law as crew. I put the Hawaiian style 5/8" coax type shock cord/rope on the 18. Have not had the chance to "try" it yet :)

Thanks for the help guys. I think I will score the 16 after doing a careful check for any dead spots in the hulls.

--
    82 Hobie 18 Alter Signature Model. (The Cisco Squid) Complete refit down to the rivets in 2012.
    81 H-16
    Rescue California
    --
  • Check the decks just forward of the front pylons. Put your weight on them. I bought a h16 once that passed the tap test but delaminated as soon as I stepped on the hull. Luckily I only paid $200 for it and trailer.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • will do. I have portable ultrasonic test equipment at my disposal. It is used for higher modulus carbon composites to check for monolithic lay up, but a value could be interpolated against a known good sample. Then again, it may be more simple to walk myself along the decks and feel it up. Low tech works more better most of the time. I will check it out carefully. It's green. Is that against the natural order of the sea? Like a banana on a schooner? Everytime I mess with mysticism, I get pranged right in the nuts.

--
    81 H-16
    Rescue California
    --
  • you could get an H17. If it was me I'd solo the 18 but have to weight to be captain and crew.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • 17's are a bit more scarce around here. I guess I could bulk up and solo the 18. Im 7th gen Hawaiian. I am about 6 months of good eats diet and no work out to hit 3 hundred something!

--
    81 H-16
    Rescue California
    --
  • When you say the H16 is "green", is it painted green or is the gelcoat green?....... icon_eek

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • It was gel coat I believe. I have however found a nicer boat (creme puff) for a reasonable price. It has white hulls and is in fabulous condition. Actually needs nothing, which is amazing. Now if I can keep off the internet and let my visa card relax from buying accessorizing goodies that are completely non essential to sailing a boat, I'll be good!

--
    81 H-16
    Rescue California
    --
  • astglennI have portable ultrasonic test equipment at my disposal. It is used for higher modulus carbon composites to check for monolithic lay up, but a value could be interpolated against a known good sample.

Was dat english? :)

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • No. It is the screwed up language that I have to use in my work life. I try to never use it in my fun life. It accidentally slipped out. This is why I stopped wearing shorts or trench coats. Slippage can be embarrassing.

--
    81 H-16
    Rescue California
    --
  • Single handing a 16? icon_rolleyes

I single hand my 21SE in 10-15 mph wind all day long. icon_cool

I just need help stepping my mast ....and when the wind starts really blowing...I need my crew... icon_wink

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • bill40421SESingle handing a 16? icon_rolleyes

I single hand my 21SE in 10-15 mph wind all day long. icon_cool

I just need help stepping my mast ....and when the wind starts really blowing...I need my crew... icon_wink

Seems like a good excuse to buy that life like inflatable woman I seen in....err. never mind. Wrong forum.

--
    81 H-16
    Rescue California
    --
  • Hi astglenn I am in Livermore CA and have an extra H 17. I tiip the scales at a tenth of a ton + 20lbs. She stands up for me real nice. Bit of a project boat as she needs one wing tube fixed. Could be yours.. Hal (How was that Capt Bill.. Soft sell.. Yes??)

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • Thank you for the offer Hal but I have committed to the 16 and pick it up tomorrow. If something goes horribly wrong, I will hit you up. A little broken tube don't worry me too much. I walk past a mandrel bender and TIG welding bench about 30 times a day.

--
    81 H-16
    Rescue California
    --
  • smooth hal...like butter. "could be yours" is seductively suggestive! i give you an "A+"!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Bill Had some of that hooch that I make on board AND had just spent 2 hrs in the tasting room with 2 20 something hotties.. By the way, that hottie who you "almost talked into a sail" stoped by the winery the other day. Still in shock that you did not pitch a great pitch for a ride.. SOOO I gave him/her a bit different look with less red around the mouth (Tell tale lef-over stains on the skipper) and sharpened up the spikes a bit. So Take some sauve along for the cutts or wear a wet suit.. He/she is ready.. Cheers Hal.. P S Business is sloooo. Orical is in town with those 45s. Got a line on a used one so got to pratice up on my pitch.. "Only pitch poled once.. Spitthill loved it.. It comes with a nice wing.. Check out that hole there. The guy who fell through it signed it.". Yess?? Worth more bucks...... Yes!! ... MGB Rocks.. .. PBR.. Not so much H.

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • astglenn
    Where are you in Cal North?? I got lots of H16 parts boats if you are in need.. Dont believe what Capt Bill might say. All my stuff is premo. Give me a buz if you want to head out.. I am retired and can do weekdays. Done H16s for 30 years. Yep Olde.. Could let you try my H17 as well. Email is .. sailing. (first name).(last name) at gmail. Drop a note when ya can.. Cheers Hal

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.