Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Replacing prindle 18 rudders with H18 package  Bottom

• My '86 P18 needs rudder rebuild...while I am not totally unhappy with the stock rig, I frequently run across references to installing the H18's. Thoughts?
  • Did you do this? I've been looking at modifying my P18s to work like the Nacras. A cam cleat seams much easier and more reliable than the little hook on the Prindles.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • The Prindle system will work just fine. You must adjust and tune the rudder system first. I have sailed Prindles since the mid 70's and I have found the system very reliable if "ADJUSTED PROPERLY". Although the cams last for a long time, they like other wear parts will need to be replaced. These cams will last 10 plus years much longer than the plastic cams in Hobies. Post the problems that you are having and I will be glad to help you get the rudder system working properly.
  • the H18 system is hardly perfect. the old style (alum cams) was horrible. i broke the casting when the cam wouldn't release and i hit bottom.

the upgrade (new castings and plastic cams) was about $700 (excluding 20hours of labor).

it was a nice upgrade but expensive and as any Hobie sailor knows.. the plastic cams occasionally get locked down (usually at the worst time) and require a Hobie tool (and small holes drilled into the cams) to get the cam back up. It can be done with a screwdriver.. but you risk damaging the cams or the plastic tension controller.

I would try to work out the prindle system before you invest the time to change it out.
  • Well, for me anyway, the style of the Nacra system seems like an easy fix for the Prindle. I think 6 drilled holes and two hinged cleats would do it.

The problem I have is that the rudders sometimes pop up when I accelerate out of turn. I have them fairly tight - I have to have the line that raises them cleated (so that it raises the little bar as the rudder comes down) to lock the rudders down, but they still don't hold very well. I'll take a look and see if maybe the hooks are just too worn.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • If the rudders are popping up they are not locked in all the way. The rudder cam or hook as you say can be adjusted. Hold the hook portion with a wrench and loosen the nut on the out side of the cam, then put a screw driver or other device in the hole in the rudder so that you can hold the nut that is inside the hole. Then while holding the nut firmly take vise grips or the exact size wrench that fits around the hook portion and loosen, and when everthing is loose you will be able to move the cam (hook) either in or out. This adjustment will determine how tight the cam is when it is in its locked position. After you make your adjustment make sure that the cam is in line to strike the receiving pin squarely. It may take one or two times to get it where you want it. You can get it so tight, that the rudder will have a hard time kicking up. Also make sure that the nuts holding the bolts that go throught the rudder castings are loose enough to allow movement, if they are to tight it will be hard to lock down. The springs need to be able to flex. Hope this helps. Just post again if you still are having problems. PS you may have to put something on the nuts on the cam (hook) over night to help loosen them

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.