Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

I am looking for an 18 footer without dagger boards?  Bottom

• I used to sail Hobie 16's but am looking for a larger boat without boards. Any ideas?
  • Prindle 18

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Nacra 5.7

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Prindle 18 is best asymetrical--have one in La Paz. Pete
  • +1
  • and even a dart18

which board-less boats are available depends a lot of where in the world you are...
  • gcat 5.7
  • Supercat. Definitely.

The Supercat 17 has more hull volume than any 18 out there.

The Supercat 18 is very rare, but is 18 feet long and has a wider beam.

The Supercat 19 can be sailed with or without daggers.

You won't find a boat with more volume or main tramp space than any of the above.

OK, the Gcats have an extra front tramp, but I'm talking about the main tramp..
  • I second a Prindle 18 but you could also consider a Prindle 18.2 or 19 they have centerboards which are much more friendly than daggerboards as they will kickup like rudders if you get to shallow.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • QuoteI second a Prindle 18 but you could also consider a Prindle 18.2 or 19 they have centerboards which are much more friendly than daggerboards as they will kickup like rudders if you get to shallow.

I think h18 daggers (and wells) are much more robust than any centerboard cat i have seen (never seen a real tornado in person, or action)

we have a few 18-2, ,and 19's around here.. (and hobie17) and those centerboards are broken more than my old 18 boards/wells

Edited by MN3 on Aug 13, 2012 - 03:01 PM.
  • See that seems odd to me. I have no personal experience sailing with either but center boards are designed to pop up and daggers you have to remember to raise so I would think if working properly a centerboard would be much less worry and less likely to be damaged.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Supercat 17, besides being boardless and boomless I also appreciate how the tramp is and the rounded hull tops are nicer on the bottom of the feet. Plus they are still in production so parts are just a phone call away.

--
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    SuperCat 17
    --
  • QuoteSupercat 17,

however, it is a very, very wet boat
  • I'm in Pensacola. I was looking at the Nacra 5.7 on classifieds and it showed boards. Thanks, John
  • Is there more than 1 Nacra 5.7 in the classifieds? The one I see is for $2700...
    I can assure you that my N5.7 has NO BOARDS, they are skeg hulls. The one I see in the ads, says,"improvements" to the rudder system. The rudders in the photo are not Nacra rudders, it appears a Prindle system was put on, whether that is an "improvement" remains to be seen.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.