Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Best line for Hobie 16 main sheet  Bottom

• Probably been done to death but thought I would put it back out there--anyone have advice on the best line to use for Hobie 16 mainsheet?

Have original block/set up from 1981 Hobie and want something that will not jam, good grip and easy to use...

cheers
    reuben
  • Normal for the Mainsheet is 7/16 if using a seperate line for the traveler 5/16 for that approx 10' section. The 2 are just spliced or tied together
  • I just got some Maffioli Swiftcord 9mm for my new mainsheet and I like it very much. Feels good in the hand, goes through the block well, cleats and uncleats easily, lightweight.

I've used New England Ropes Salsa 9.5mm and FSE Robline Racing Sheet Pro 10mm with great results. In fact I have 38' of Blue FSE Robline Racing Sheet Pro 10mm that I got for a backup for my G-Cat 5.0 that I don't need anymore. I think it's been through a block one time.
  • I have always used trophy braid, it has the cotton outer and is much easier on the hands. JMHO, Richard.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • QuoteI've used New England Ropes Salsa 9.5mm and FSE Robline Racing Sheet Pro 10mm with great results

I found 10mm a bit to large for my 8:1 system (as there is a 40mm block involved (2 actually now that i changed it to a 9:1)

BUT I LOVE racing sheets

Edited by MN3 on Aug 03, 2012 - 09:09 AM.
  • MN3
    QuoteI've used New England Ropes Salsa 9.5mm and FSE Robline Racing Sheet Pro 10mm with great results

I found 10mm a bit to large for my 8:1 system (as there is a 40mm block involved (2 actually now that i changed it to a 9:1)

BUT I LOVE racing sheetsEdited by MN3 on Aug 03, 2012 - 09:09 AM.

I've used the 9.5mm and 10mm sheet with 3.5" Seaway blocks as well as Harken and Nautos 57mm blocks and it's great! For my smaller 40mm jib blocks I have been using New England Ropes 8mm Bzzz line but I'm rethinking that for my 21 SE because my crew had it slip out of the carbo cleat several times this weekend when it was under heavy load.
  • kravenI just got some Maffioli Swiftcord 9mm for my new mainsheet and I like it very much. Feels good in the hand, goes through the block well, cleats and uncleats easily, lightweight.

hey i was going to say that!! I think i use that in my opti it came with the boat, but i would buy it for my hobie if i needed a new sheet. Just making sure its that same i have, is it very soft, absorbs some water and has no core (i think it has no core).

--
    Angelo
    1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
    2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.