Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 18 #1264 shroud extender kit help  Bottom

• Any one familiar with how the extender cable attaches to the shroud in order to capture it when the shroud pin is pulled? Link to the kit.

http://www.mariner-sails.…/partdetail.asp?id=23365

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • It attaches to the shroud and to the chain plate and extends the shroud so after you flop and engage it the above water shroud is longer and the above water hull is leveraged past 90 degrees and over center so as to increase angle so it is easier and requires less force to start the boat to right it self. Problems.. 1.. got to secure the mast at the base as the rigging is much looser due to the extra length of the shroud extender and the mast can slip off the ball. 2.. have to get the extended shroud leeward after righting to be able to re-attach the original shroud connection and take the slack out of the rigging and tighten up as originaly set up... Got Crew? Tough to do one-up. I know.. Hal

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • I understand the theory and how it all works except how it attaches and captures the shroud when the
    pin is pulled. The H18 shrouds have a small crimped fitting on the end of the shroud rather than a loop which could be captured by the shackle. I have this kit and most likely won't use it, But I want to know how it works.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    --
  • That kit is a very bad idea on any non-captive ball systems like the Hobie 18 and older Nacras. The Hobie 14s and 16s can use this system if you tie the mast to the front beam, but it is still sketchy. What it does is release tension on the rig and that tension is what is holding your mast to the ball. The 18 doesn't have much overlap(?) in that the ball doesn't sit very far into the cup of the mast base. The hinge isn't strong enough to support the mast in that kind of condition.

This sytem works extremely well on my Supercat since it has a very large captive ball.
  • I totally understand the system and the implications of using it on a non captive mast. The only time
    that I would pull the pin is if it meant the difference between righting and floating around all night. The
    only thing that I am looking for with this thread is how the cable is attached to the shroud so it catches it
    when the pin is pulled.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    --
  • Here you go.

http://www.hobiecat.com/f…2&hilit=shroud+extenders

Edited by car_guy on Jul 28, 2012 - 08:43 AM.
  • I found that same picture, but the shroud end on an H18 is a small flat piece called a marine eye and would take a tiny shackle to capture it.

http://www.murrays.com/mm…12&Category_Code=C-R-R-O

Edited by pknapp66 on Jul 28, 2012 - 08:52 AM.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    --
  • I see what you mean... Other then finding a very small shakle I think you would have to add some sort of stopper like a crimped on fitting.
  • The description of the kit in the Hobie catalog says installs in minutes with a pair of pliers and shows
    fairly large shackles like in the pic you attached. Mine have those exact shackles. Still confused.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    --
  • make a soloright.

or else you can right solo with about 260 pounds plus a few extra pounds from a righting bag....

...believe me.. i've tried and tested and tried and tested.... it takes about 300 to pop a H18 up.
  • Our crew weight is right around 300 and in calm conditions during righting practice we still need
    some water in the bag. We have wings so that probably adds to the weight needed.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.