Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Can I clean up those filthy sail windows  Bottom

• My sail windows are very dirty and are currently of no use. The sails themselves look pretty good but the windows look to be covered in something like shower scum. Is there anything I can use to clean them up that won't damage the sails?

--
    Brad
    Been sailing and racing a friends H16
    Just bought N5.2
    Lake Hefner, Oklahoma City
    --
  • Probably fairly cheap to have new ones put in. I think they are intended to replaced every so often. In fact you might can do it yourself with help from www.sailrite.com.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • depends on what the window was made with. Some will "fog" over time, many will severely degrade with UV and use.
    i would try mild dish soap or similar, not any solvent as it could eat throught.

The cost is usually around $100 (around here at least) for a new window from Doyle sail makers
  • Sail rite does have a tutorial to do it on your own. I'm at work right now. And can't download the instructions on my phone so it'll hafta wait till this evening. I hope the instructions are for doing it by hand as I don't have a machine capable.

If anybody knows of any sailcloth safe cleaning product to fix this, don't hesitate to make a suggestion!

--
    Brad
    Been sailing and racing a friends H16
    Just bought N5.2
    Lake Hefner, Oklahoma City
    --
  • Try this:

http://www.sailrite.com/303-Aerospace-Fabric-Vinyl-Cleaner-32oz

Dilute it at least 10 to one. Directions on label.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Get Some Meguir's Plastx Clear Plastic cleaner and polish. Buff out your windows like a car, Its's only clear mylar. Pledge also works for maintenance. icon_cool

--
    David
    Nacra 5.5SL
    Nacra 5.2 (sold)
    San Diego, CA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.