Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

G-Cat Inaugural Sail  Bottom

• Went out on the G-Cat 5.0 today and had a blast, 15 mph winds, perfect. G-Cat turns out to be a very wet boat, flipped it once, pointed the mast into the wind, threw righting line over upper hull and she came up easy. Luv the rudder setup on the G-Cat, easy up, easy down, and they clip on/off for easy trailering. Put 10" wheels on trailer and it pulls so sweet, used less than 1/2 tank gas for 150 mile round trip to MTL, awesome, used to use 3/4 tank. The trap shock cord runs through the center beam on the G-Cat and that does not work as most of the time you are trapped off the back of the boat, need to run a shock cord through the aft beam. Biggest problem is still the fixed rotator arm on the mast base, have decided to cut it off and replace with a SS folding rotator arm, so that I can flip it out of the way when stepping the mast. Other than that, very pleased with the G-Cat all in all.

woohoo

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • The trap shock cord in the front beam is intended for crew, not skipper
    i would recommend running both skipper and crew under the tramp and use the spaces in the tramp lacing (or grommet) to place the cord exactly where you want it
  • Already tried that, ran the shock cord under the tramp and up through the grommet holes, also tried through spacing in tramp lacing, but then the trap wire was constantly in the way, severely impeding movement on the tramp, got slapped in the face by dogbones a couple of times........ complain

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Awesome! I sail a Hobie 16 now but may be getting a G-Cat as well soon.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • Zack, u in IN part time? I'm in MO, just down the street, we need to sail sometime........ prost

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • I'm in FL for the summer. Come on down. Just drive south and turn left icon_lol

--
    -Zach
    --
  • QuoteAlready tried that, ran the shock cord under the tramp and up through the grommet holes, also tried through spacing in tramp lacing, but then the trap wire was constantly in the way, severely impeding movement on the tramp, got

yup, happens all the time.
    some people pull plastic hooks on the side stays to keep em out of the way when not in use... a constant battle on almost every cat...
  • PurdueZachAwesome! I sail a Hobie 16 now but may be getting a G-Cat as well soon.

Might be selling my G-Cat 5.0. Now that I've dropped bunch of money in it and have it in perfect condition I went and bought Drew's Hobie 21 SE on July 4th. The 21 is such a Cadillac I don't know if I I'll want to sail the G-Cat anymore.
  • I have a G-Cat 5.7 and find it's a dry ride compared to my collegaue's Supercat. I also think stainless steel dogbones are a chipped tooth waiting to happen, so switched to the coated -cable type.

--
    Hobie 16
    Hobie 18
    G-Cat 5.7
    --
  • Loose trap hardware of any type needs just a bit of velcro to keep it wrapped to the shroud and out of your face.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • So today I cut my fixed mast rotator arm off the mast base of the G-Cat and replaced it with a SS one from Murrays, now I can pin the mast directly to the mast step ball without any hassle....... icon_biggrin

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=86940

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.