Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Chaos in Sarasota  Bottom

• The tropical storm is just causing general chaos! I went to the sss to day to tie my boat down a little tighter and found a surprise, the tide was so high that it came over the shore and looking at the water lines my transoms were under water and the bower that is next to me drifted over and scuffed up my newly painted rudders! the tide was about 4 feet higher and about 33 knots!

here is the warnings for sarasota

Detailed text forecast
    Hazardous weather condition(s):

Coastal Flood Warning
    Tornado Watch
    Flood Warning
    Tropical Storm Watch
    High Surf Advisory
    Flood Watch

and the radar pic
    http://radar.weather.gov/Legend/N0R/TBW_N0R_Legend_0.gif

http://forecast.weather.g…&textField2=-82.5466&e=1

--
    Angelo
    1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
    2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • I'm nervous myself. My boat is down on Clearwater beach which is closed to traffic. I can only hope it's okay.

Down on the beach, the max sustained wind was 38 mph, max gust was 50 mph, avg sustained was 21 mph.

Edited by daniel_t on Jun 24, 2012 - 08:53 PM.

--
    Daniel T.
    Taipan F16 - USA 213
    Clearwater, FL
    --
  • Good luck down there, I'm staying in Gulf Breeze, FL (Near Pensacola Beach) and the friends I'm staying with live on East Bay, we spent the morning putting away all outside loose items and securing the boat on the lift and and the other water toys that might blow (or float) away.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • daniel_tI'm nervous myself. My boat is down on Clearwater beach which is closed to traffic. I can only hope it's okay.

Down on the beach, the max sustained wind was 38 mph, max gust was 50 mph, avg sustained was 21 mph.Edited by daniel_t on Jun 24, 2012 - 08:53 PM.

at the sailing center?
  • I have a river thats behind my house and it has flooded about 2 feet and our dock is part under! And at the sss about 10 boats got lose from the moorings and 2 jibs got shredded and 1 trimaran that was on the trailer flipped and fell on a stiletto that was next to it the stiletto was brought there about a week ago!

--
    Angelo
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • MN3at the sailing center?

Yes. Today the wind was even stronger. Avg sustained was 31 mph, max sustained 40 mph, max gust 52 mph. barometric pressure is still dropping too.

My wife went out during the day to have a look at the boat and send me pictures. The tenders at the center took my boat off her trailer and tied her to the fence. They figured she would be less likely to sustain damage if she wasn't on something she could fall off of.

The inside of my cat-box is soaked too. It's going to take a bit to dry everything this weekend.

Cross my fingers, my tillers are supposed to arrive this week. Maybe I'll be tooling around in the nice 15 knot breeze forecast for Saturday... Or maybe I'll be ordering more parts...

--
    Daniel T.
    Taipan F16 - USA 213
    Clearwater, FL
    --
  • Mine is on Indian Rocks Beach, tucked away behind some dunes. I checked on it last night and all is well. Can't say the same for the sea turtle nest that was in front of the dune. The nest and about 30 feet of beach are gone.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u166/dbdeeds/nest.jpg
  • QuoteThe tenders at the center took my boat off her trailer and tied her to the fence. They figured she would be less likely to sustain damage if she wasn't on something she could fall off of

most of us who leave our cat on the causeway in the summer use tree augers. they go in the sand pretty well and will hold a cat down in 35-45mph wind.. after that... tie down lines break.. and i am sure given the right (or wrong) conditions, they will pull out of the ground...

but i personally would not leave a cat on the trailer in any wind with the mast up. The tramp acts like a sail and if the wind gets under it...... fliipping is easy

Quotemy tillers are supposed to arrive this week.

do you use Mike at Ellie's Sailing in clearwater? he is a local cat guy and we all try to support him :)
  • http://www.youtube.com/wa…p3dAvR4Qg&feature=relmfu

This was filmed 2 days ago the boats are at marina jacks

--
    Angelo
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • ouch
  • Quotedo you use Mike at Ellie's Sailing in clearwater? he is a local cat guy and we all try to support him :)

Since these were factory parts, I ordered them from Robbie and Jill. I plan on getting a bottom job from Ellie's as soon as I can afford it though.

--
    Daniel T.
    Taipan F16 - USA 213
    Clearwater, FL
    --
  • Good on you Andrew to recommend quality people. Let's face it, Cat sailing is a pretty small niche,(hoping the Olympics will change that). I'm sure there are many vendors that barely make it work, I don't mind spending $2 extra $$ to support a good business.
    I still think back to how accommodating Sailing Services was, (your recommendation) when I needed Torlon bearings for a furling system.
    I send Damon 5 clams for everything I sell on this site, if not for TB.com...I would know nothing more than my dinghy sailing days.
    My buddy & I sent the wives to a Scandinavian Spa today....we're building points towards being able to come down to Jauna's... or some other mission & see how you Ocean sailors do it.
    I dropped the hint to another buddy that the Nacra 36, ( #3) might be a real hit there, even though we would get our asses kicked, as we know nothing about racing..."C'mon Willi, most people love aerospace engineers, & they'll all drool over the '36.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • My boat was in clearwater with daneil t. Boat. Sustained about a 3 inch deep scratch, had boat tied down with dog screws however tide came up so far my boat pulled them out of sand.

Oh well my boat survived, MY CAR DID NOT, buying a silverado truck Saturday, back sailing Sunday.

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    Newbie but catching on fast.
    NACRA 17
    --
  • what happened to the car?

--
    Angelo
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • At my brothers house Sunday. 4pm high tide with wind effect. Intercoastal water 2-3 ' over seawall had 8" of salt water in my car parked in his driveway.

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    NACRA 17
    --
  • that sucks

--
    Angelo
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • weeks later and its still stormy... icon_rolleyes
    http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/optikid/IMG_0578.jpg

--
    Angelo
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • The storms will subside (in oct/nov).. then the real wind comes :)
  • Optikid. Where was that picture taken?? Sailing club??

Will

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    NACRA 17
    --
  • sarasota sailing squadrons upstairs protest room

--
    Angelo
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.