Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Cracked Hobie 17 centerboard well  Bottom

• Has anyone fixed a cracked Hobie 17 centerboard well? The top of the centerboard cracked the inside of the centerboard well about 5 years ago and I've been struggling with this ever since. The repair shop ground out the crack and refiberglassed it on the outside, but it seems to keep opening up. I was wondering about putting a couple of inspection ports in the hull and trying to reglass it from the inside of the hull as well. Does this sound feasible? Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Quote. I was wondering about putting a couple of inspection ports in the hull and trying to reglass it from the inside of the hull as well.

This is what do.

I have not actually done the centerboard well, but have to repair 3 of my wing wells. Get 5" port, 4" is a bit small. With 4" port you can only fit your arm and it is very tight. Do the repair after you make the hole for the port but before you actually install the port. This will give you a bit extra space to do the work. Use epoxy, not polyester, for best adhesion. You can fill up the crack from outside with an epoxy filler, but the most important work is from the inside of the hull. You will be working mostly by touch, so get very familiar with the location. I like to apply the resin first, then wait till it gets sticky. Then, lay down the glass fabric. Wait a bit till the fabric is secured in place but the resin is not completely cured. Then apply the resin on the fabric. Continue with the next layer the same way. This is very time consuming but otherwise things can get very messy.

Good luck.

Edited by jackb on Jun 19, 2012 - 07:21 PM.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • Use a small camera to check out the area after cutting the port hole (try one hole to start. ).. Got to have a flash. Be sure you are able to prep the area.. If it works. Invert the boat so all the liquid fills in where you can not sand the surfaces. Going to try it on a wing hole repair soon.. and will document. Get back with feedback pls H

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.