Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

mast pin G-Cat 5.0?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• QuoteHow do they get it up that way without the winch?

the way we trailer our cats.. .all you have to do is push the mast back (towards your car) a few feet and you can pin the mast to the ball. (or use line)

then you walk to your rear beam and step it (can be done solo)

http://www.israeltour.com/images/mast.jpg
  • You mentioned that these boats pitchpole easily. Is there any sailing techniques that you can share that will help avoid that?

We sail in Central Texas lakes so there isn't much danger of any serious swells normally, but it never fails that someone in a big powerboat will come cruising by at hull speed and send a tsunami your way.

I just got the G-Cat 5.0 boat and have not had her out on the water yet (I have to do some restoration, please see my other post) so the pitchpole issue is something I would like to be prepared for. Has anyone ever had a 1.5 to 2 foot boat wake cause your G-Cat to dig in?

Thanks

--
    Simple is Good
    --
  • QuoteYou mentioned that these boats pitchpole easily. Is there any sailing techniques that you can share that will help avoid that?

As you see/feel your bows digging in... move your weight to the back of the boat... if you have crew.. make sure they move back as well...

that about all you can do ....

PS boat wake will not cause you to pitch pole... it will bounce you around like crazy... and if you are moving with speed (13+) it can rock you around a lot, but as long as you hold your course, and are ready for it.. you should be fine...
  • spiritsailor
    ...so the pitchpole issue is something I would like to be prepared for. Has anyone ever had a 1.5 to 2 foot boat wake cause your G-Cat to dig in?

Up is up and down is down. If you let your hulls point down they will go under the water. If your hulls are level and you point them into the front or back of a wave they will go down, either by the force of the wave or your driving.
    So don't drive down into the back of a wave, keep your bows high when driving in a wave face and in between waves or wakes keep your hulls level unless you are in heavy air- then either keep the bows high or head for shore.
    Is you are sailing along and your lee hull starts to pearl (as in dive for pearls):

MN3As you see/feel your bows digging in... move your weight to the back of the boat... if you have crew.. make sure they move back as well...

My additional 2 cents= grab your crew and run aft as they cut the jib sheet. If you are sailing more than a beam reach, steer more downwind. If you turn upwind, you will capsize because a cat turns so slow that you will be blown over sideways long before you reach head to wind.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Sorry to bump this old thread, but I have been following the 'bungie instead of line' method since kraven told me about that a few years ago, and I finally had a situation that tested it. We were starting to winch up the mast when it moved off to the side (and I wasn't controlling it properly, mea culpa). Anyway it fell, and the bungie held tight, but the 3 pop rivets holding the casting to the bottom of the mast all sheared off instead. So at least in that one instance, the bungie was stronger than the mast itself.
  • The bungee stretched... thats what it's supposed to do and exactly why they are not the correct line for the job

control lines (guylines) would prevent this

Quote Anyway it fell, and the bungee held tight, but the 3 pop rivets holding the casting to the bottom of the mast all sheared off instead. So at least in that one instance, the bungie was stronger than the mast itself.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.