Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

P 16 Mast and Boom package  Bottom

• Just updated my ad. I am "almost" ready to give it away. Boom and Mast for $100. If youre in the local NE Florida or SE Georgia area come with an offer and take it away. I really dont want to take it to salvage yard. But its gotta go by the end of June.

--
    1976 Prindle 16, Sailing since 1969, Retired Chief USCG, Disabled Vet, Father of 3 great daughters!
    --
  • Wish I was close I'd take you up on it but even at that price I can't really manage to ship it to Utah. Not driving this way any time soon are you icon_wink

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Make an offer that works for both of us! Its got to go! Shoot me an email when ya can

--
    1976 Prindle 16, Sailing since 1969, Retired Chief USCG, Disabled Vet, Father of 3 great daughters!
    --
  • It's just to far away. It would cost $60 just to ship the boom which I don't really need and the mast would be crazy. I got to imagine there is somebody close that would snatch it up. Don't scrap it that would be sad. If you do at least take off all the castings.

i am in not real hurry for a mast my P16's are long term projects I have to start treating them like it icon_smile

How is the wire halyard on the mast? All the ones I have are junk are getting close to junk.

Have you put it on ebay? Craigslist?

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • Yep I here ya! I put it on Craigs List but no bites so far. The wire is about three years old and is great shape

--
    --
  • Sorry BN, I never got back to you. Things took a left turn here and I have to save money for expenses coming up soon it appears.
  • Of all 3 of my P16 I only have one serviceable main wire halyard and I even found at least one broken strand in it. Not sure how big a deal that is for a main halyard depending on where it is but I'm inclined to try it for now. Be a bit before it sees any use anyhow.

I will probably be making some of my own rather than paying $75 a pop for em. Anyone know what the cable diameter is?

Edited by Quarath on Jun 01, 2012 - 01:35 PM.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • I'd replace it as soon as you can. Back when I owned a P-16, we had a popped wire in our main halyard. We lived with it, figuring the other strands would take care of business. We were wrong, of course. What happened was it popped one time when we were out on the water. All shape went out of the sail, and we limped back to shore in a pretty dismal mood.

This is when the power of used boats really kicked in, though. Prior to getting the Prindle, my friend and I had bought an exceedingly used Hobie 14. No tramp, the hulls were almost bouncy they were so soft, and we'd stripped all the shackles, blocks, and other goodies off of it to make the Prindle work. So broke and boatless, we dragged that gawdawful H14 to the local sailboat shop and asked the owner if we could make a deal.

"What do you want for it?" he asked.
    "A new main halyard for a Prindle 16!" we replied.
    "What's in it for me? That boat is shot!"
    "Don't look at it as a boat. Look at it as a trailer with a bunch of crossbeams and scrap glass sitting on it."

He took the trailer and the crossbeams and gave us our halyard. We were back on the water the next day.

The only real bugaboo with the Prindle halyard is the distances between the thimble at the end and the swaged stops. So long as you have one good halyard to measure off of, you should be able to build your own. If you have a place in town that sells good quality wire rope, bring your halyard in and compare until you find the right match. An honest to goodness boat shop should have calipers behind the counter for checking this kind of thing.

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • Was it between the stop swaggs and the main. I would think there it would be an issue but if it is below the swaggs when the main is up there is not going to be any pressure on it except when raising and lowering the main.

I just need to verify what the wire rope diameter should be for and or the working load. I found 1/8 inch stainless wire rope with a 1760 lb working load for $34.95 for a 200 ft roll. I'm just not sure if that is too big or not flexible enough or strong enough.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • I think it was between the last swage and the main, so it was always under load on the broken section.

Sorry, I don't remember what that size should be. But if you've got calipers or a drill gauge, you should be able to measure off of your halyard.

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • dtfuquaSorry BN, I never got back to you. Things took a left turn here and I have to save money for expenses coming up soon it appears.

No Sweat! Its all good.

I put some more "HardWare, HarKen Blocks, Jib Blocks and sundry parts on the classifieds.

--
    --
  • Do you still have the Mast and Boom for sale?
  • Yes they are still available. See my ad on the Catamaran Parts page. Call me.

--
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.