Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Where to sail within a few hours of Memphis TN - Arkabutla closed for the year :-(  Bottom

• Saw this on the news icon_confused : http://www.abc24.com/news/local/story/Arkabutla-Lake-Too-Low-for-Holiday-Summer/ruywIa6atkqbVXvX7tXTgw.cspx

Just got my Hobie 16 all ready to hit the water, was hoping to this weekend, but it looks like i'm going to have to do some road trips ( which i don't mind, my trailer is good )

Any of you guys know of some nice lakes with good ramps and/or beaches to launch from? I'd be happy to meet up and go sailing with any somewhat local sailors/crew anywhere around the midsouth.... once i hone my skipper skills more i plan on sailing on the gulf coast. Also I would love to crew for any experienced sailors to gain all the knowledge I can soak up!!

Cheers! icon_biggrin
    Tim

( grovertim@gmail.com )

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • Closest spot is Sardis. I was there yesterday at the Teckville Ramp on the north shore. Even though the lake is down there is a lot of sailing area. There is a lot of beach area around for landing. From Collierville it takes me about an hour and fifteen minutes. You have about a 5 mile run to the dam if you want to go that far.

Lemme know if you want to go sometime. I just met a guy in Collierville is finished fixing up his new to him H18.

I have never sailed Pickwick. Always thought is was too narrow and too much power boat traffic. I hear Enid is nice - about 2/3's the size of Sardis. Not sure there is beach there.

Lake Maumelle in Arkansas is another. Its probably 3 hours away though. But they have a sailing club there. Never sailed there but driven past it and it looks very nice.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • QuoteLake Maumelle in Arkansas is another. Its probably 3 hours away though. But they have a sailing club there. Never sailed there but driven past it and it looks very nice.

I am an associate member at the Grande Maumelle Sailing Club where I crew on a keelboat in the winter. I do not yet race cats there as I have a P18 and the regular summer series only has classes for Hobie 20 and Hobie 16 as well as several one-design centerboard fleets such as Y-flyers, Flying Scotts, and Thistles. We race every other Sunday afternoon. The next big regatta which is an open invitation and includes FREE entry is the Labor day regatta which I believe expands to include any additional Hobie classes.
    Check us out at http://www.gmsc.org.
  • Grenada, Sardis and Enid lakes in MS are all less than two hours from Memphis. I know there are a couple of lakes in AR and Pickwick over on the MS/TN state line at Iuka - Of course there is the Gulf Coast just 5hrs or so away

--
    Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
    Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
    MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
    Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
    Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.