Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

P16 DS rod too short?  Bottom

• Late last night in the rain I decided to step my mast for the first time. When I went to tension the DS rod I noticed that for the aluminum V Bar to be tight I need to thread my DS rod almost completely out of the casting.

Am I missing something obvious? I didn't check the 4 nuts holding the v bar for tension but they should be fine since the bar is seized onto the stainless bolts.

I'll take another look but is my best option to add a few washers to the V bar casting to make the rod a bit longer?

--
    Bob Miller
    1983 P16 Sail # 7312
    "Miller Time" A work in progress; out of the water for 16 years
    Barnegat Bay NJ
    Beach Cat Lesson #1 - A free cat isn't
    Find more Prindles on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/173120656090532/
    --
  • Bob, I'm not really familiar with the Prindles, do you know if the V brace strap is the same as the older Nacra's?
    I have 5 V brace straps from Nacras, one measures, (from butt end to butt end as installed) 74"(N5.0), one 70"(unknown), 2@72"(N5.2 or 5.7), and one around 73", but a much deeper "V", don't now what it came off. The only things the same between them is the 3 hole spacing to bolt them on, & the physical width & thickness of the material. I also have some slightly bent DS rods, one I cut, & one of the older skinnier rods, no two are the same length.
    I don't know if specs changed, slightly different depths of "V" were used to make the truss stronger etc. Of course if the V is deeper, you need a longer DS rod.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • The 76 P16 I just picked up is missing the screw that attached the strapping to the DS Rod. Without it, there is about a 1/2 inch gap until they meet. It also looks like the rod is thread pretty far down as is though I have not done a complete inspection.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.