Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

G-Cat 5.0  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Going to check out this 83 cat tomorrow, owner bought it in FL and brought it up to MO, was used a few times and then sat for many years, was donated to current owner who is selling. Checked the hulls out last week-end, cat is solid, just need to see the rest of the rigging, here's hoping it's all good.... yes

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • What an Indaba!

Went to pick up GCat in St Louis, owner had said tires were shot but promised to put new wheels on, get there, no wheels, its 5.30 Sat evening and I'm running around St Louis looking for trailer wheels, finally locate wheels at Walmart in St Charles 1.5 hrs and $98 later, charge back to St Louis and swop out wheels, it's now 7.30pm and getting dark, I hook up trailer and........no lights, too late to try repair so I haul, get home in the dark with no trailer lights.

Been weird trying to deal with this guy who had the GCat, had it listed on CL for $495, 1st time I contacted him and offered him $450 cash he hung up on me, last week-end we were in St Louis, I contacted him prior to let him know I was coming with $500 cash and wanted to meet, he directed me to his storage yard where the GCat was and when I arrived there I contacted him to see where he was, oh, he can't meet me, he's on vacation in Colorado, he thought I wanted to check the GCat out, but it's behind locked gates I tell him, well just hop over the fence he says, so I hop over and check out cat, solid. So I call him back, where's the rudders, sails, boom, lines etc, oh they're in his garage he says, so I ask when do I get to see them, well I'm coming through Columbia sometime soon, I could drop them he says, so he calls me this morning to say he's driving through Columbia, so I ask him did he bring all the extras, oh no he says, I did not think you were serious about buying the GCat, I bite back the ire and remind him I was in St Louis previous week-end with cash to purchase Gcat, ok he says, let me make a call. He calls me back and tells me his wife will meet me at the yard with all the gear at 4.00 pm, I get there a bit late due to taking care of business and wife is waiting but GCat is parked in corner of storage lot and to get to it have to move some other items, takes about an hr to get GCat out as I have to manually haul it out and tires are shot, you try haul a loaded trailer with flat tires, sweat is flowing freely as well as some choice thoughts, but I'm on a mission and get cat out.

So I finally got the GCat home, will inspect it more carefully in the morning and will take pics, I can tell you this, I have the original title, seems this lady purchased this GCat new while down in FL, brought it back to MO, and then found out that it was a little too much for her, so after it sat a while, she donated it to the salvation army. Then this guy, who happens to be a "dealer" picks it up from the SA and it sits in his storage yard for many years untill it finally gets rescued by......me!

pics and update to follow....... rtfm

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Quote I hook up trailer and........no lights, too late to try repair so I haul, get home in the dark with no trailer lights.

Turbo, i learned many years ago that "lights seem OK" means not a single one will work, & you are lucky if there are even wires! I've used magnetic stick on lights several times now. They can be had for under $30, come with enough wire for a Cat trailer. They never go bad because you keep them stored inside, along with a roll of electrical tape. When needed you slap them on the trailer, wrap a few turns around them for security, along with the wires every 5' or so, plug 'em into your vehicle & hit the road. I also brought two of those reflective safety vests, & taped them to the transoms while hauling our N5.0 through the freeways around Chicago.
    Good to hear you persevered & got that Cat. It may be a real gem, clean it up & show us what you got!
    PS whats an Indaba?

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Welcome to the world of Craigslist. You meet the craziest people when trying to buy things. I have had several experiences like yours,but then have found great deals from really good
    people.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Indaba - conference held by the Indunas ( head men) of the Zulu tribes where much is discussed but because huge quantities of home brewed beer is consumed at such conference, nothing gets done. The term comes from the Zulu word meaning "business" or "matter"...... streit

Term used in connection with having to use a great amount of effort to get what seems a simple job done.... wallbash

Will post pics later today

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • turbo, thanks for the definition of indaba. That describes so much of what's going on in my life right now, I need to put that term into common use.

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • Today took everything out to see what I got, and it was better than I expected, rudders are in almost new condition, has a tiller crossbar with hiking stick, gonna have to figure out how tiller connector connects, mice got the jib, mainsail in awesome condition, have all shrouds, trap wires, mainblocks are Seaways, mast is straight, trailer is good, re-wired the trailer today with new wire harness and lights, got both tramps but they will both have to be replaced, boom looks good. Got started on the cleaning using Poliprep, hard brush and scouring pad, check it out.......

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=86940

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Nice Turbo,

That Polyprep is some good stuff.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • That looks pretty nice. If the jib only has those two holes, could you just have a sailamker sew a patch on? Would probably work for the season or as a spare. Nice colour scheme on the main.
    Don't forget new trailer tires, if it has been sitting for years, they are probably shot, even if they look OK. I think the majority of the boats I see sitting on the side of the road are due to tire problems.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Yeah, job looks repairable. If you need help with the rigging drop me a PM. I just got a G-Cat 5.0 myself so have it all figured out now. I tried without the job barberhaul this weekend. All the hobie guys kept telling me I don't really need it but I think you definitely do.
  • Gonna need some parts for this GCat 5.0, anyone.......?

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • What parts? I was able to get some aft spar endcaps off a prindle. The traveller car is a ronstan unit. I replaced a broken traveller cleat with a harken carbo cleat. Saltdogmarine has any standing rigging you might need or you can make your own at west marine. For tramps look on ebay.
  • need jib blocks, traveler re-build kit, most of the cheekblocks will need to be replaced, still making a list.....

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Can you post a pic of your traveler, end stops, and car? Maybe they're different from mine?

The traveler car I have is riveted together and I don't think it would be strong enough if drilled, tapped, and switched to bolts in order to replaces the sheaves. I found a new one for around $50 online.

The end stops are not like anything else at West Marine or my local sail shop so no suitable replacement for them. They're mainly just ugly but still work fine.

Nautos blocks are pretty good for the money. I've been thinking about upgrading all my blocks so I've already done the research. :)

Jib blocks http://www.ebay.com/itm/120811860212 and http://www.ebay.com/itm/120852906702, 2 of each.

Mainsheet blocks http://www.ebay.com/itm/120906012830 and http://www.ebay.com/itm/120899039829

Barberhaul blocks http://www.ebay.com/itm/120855448675 and http://www.ebay.com/itm/110758693327

I also needed 4 new trapeze handles http://www.ebay.com/itm/120897467708

I asked the guy for a combo deal for all that and he quoted me $286.80 for it all. Here's the list with PN#'s

4 x NAUTOS-ITEM # 91051 Trapeze handles
    2 x NAUTOS-ITEM # 92414 Jib blocks
    2 x NAUTOS-ITEM # 95313 Jib blocks with cleats
    1 x NAUTOS-ITEM # 92030 Mainsheet triple
    1 x NAUTOS-ITEM # 92737 Mainsheet triple with becket and ratchet
    1 x NAUTOS-ITEM # 91117 Barberhaul V-Jam block
    1 x NAUTOS-ITEM # HT2020 Barberhaul block

I'm using the New England Ropes 8mm Bzzz line for my jib sheet, New England Ropes 4mm Finish line for the barber haul, and New England Ropes 9.5mm Salsa line for my main sheet.

If you want my old Seaway main blocks and jib blocks I could sell them to you. They're still in great shape and work fine. I'm mainly wanting the more compact setup. The single ratchet with cleat and separate double block combined into a single triple with ratchet and cleat.

Edited by kraven on May 16, 2012 - 02:38 PM.
  • Just took a closer look at your already posted pictures and you have the same traveler system I do. I bought a Ronstan PN# RC61910 replacement traveler car. It came in today so I haven't had a chance to install it but it looks identical except my old one doesn't have the ronstan sticker and is silver not black.

I got mine for $54.77 from Sailnet but now it's gone up to $67.77

http://ronstan.com/images/product/RC61910.jpg

Edited by kraven on May 16, 2012 - 02:59 PM.
  • turbohobo
    Been weird trying to deal with this guy who had the GCat, had it listed on CL for $495, 1st time I contacted him and offered him $450 cash he hung up on me,

I do lots and lots of selling on Craigslist, anyone who makes an offer like that without even looking at the item is wasting my time 100% of the time. If your a serious buyer, its best to negotiate on the location with cash on you.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Kraven, could you take a pic of your jib blocks and how they are set up for me, would appreciate it, that traveler car looks just like the one I got

Umm bacho, thanks for the pearls of wisdom........ bomb

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • I'll try to snap some pics this weekend when I'm out.

I have them rigged the same as the assembly manual but I don't have the barberhaul yet. After my last weekend out I think the barberhaul is essential to get the jib set right. I tried hauling inboard via the offwind jib block but it ends up pulling the jib clew forward too much because of the mast. Here are some snippets from the manual for now:

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=87117&g2_serialNumber=3

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=87118&g2_serialNumber=3
  • I found the traveler end stops for the G-Cat 5.0. Ronstan RC61980.
  • I found what I thought was a trap adjustment rig, turns out it is the barberhaul v-jam block with line attached, what a bonus..... woohoo oh yeah!

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.