Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

PFD's  Bottom

• I'm getting back into cat sailing after a long absence. What is the current favorite PFD for use with a full harness?
  • I really like the zhik pfd.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • PFD Stohlquist Wedge
    Buoyancy aid Baltic dinghy pro

--
    Angelo
    1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
    2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • any kind of kayaking vest will be 10000x better than a jetski vest.

check out extrasport and stohlquist
  • bachoI really like the zhik pfd.

I love zhik products, only issues is they are not US coast guard approved. so they are not legal for racing (not an issue to me), but more importantly... if you get pulled over and checked (doesn't happen often on cats)... you are not obeying the law by having a US coast guard approved PFD onboard
  • matt922any kind of kayaking vest will be 10000x better than a jetski vest.

check out extrasport and stohlquist

I dont completely agree - I wear a Slippery When Wet Mpact with side buckles and have for years It never gets hung up on lacing when taking my fat ace across the boat On the flip side, I have not bought a new paddling jacket in a long time so I'm not sure whats out there now. I wear the same jacket when I play in the kayaks or canoes

--
    Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
    Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
    MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
    Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
    Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
    --
  • MN3
    bachoI really like the zhik pfd.

I love zhik products, only issues is they are not US coast guard approved. so they are not legal for racing (not an issue to me), but more importantly... if you get pulled over and checked (doesn't happen often on cats)... you are not obeying the law by having a US coast guard approved PFD onboard

Depends on the racing but yes, however the Zhik is the first vest I have ever owned that I don't mind wearing all of the time an not be tempted to take it off when I feel it's not needed. I think DNR would rather see me wearing the Zhik over some approved pfd laying in the bottom of the boat

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • I bought regular life jackets but I buckle the bottom two buckles under my harness, so the hook is always clear. After reading Bacho's post I really want to get some Zhik's because I like wearing my life-jacket all the time and mine can get uncomfortable around the chest.

99.99999% of accidents whether on land or at sea can be prevented with a life jacket and a whistle. J/K

--
    ALLEY CAT 1984 RED LINE HOBIE 18 MAGNUM
    Sail # 10505 or 277
    San Diego, Ca
    --
  • I like paddling jackets because they don't ride up into your face or chin when you are sitting. Sierra Trading Post has deals on paddling jackets. I bought a couple from there for under $50 that I like on the cat and racing a Laser. Sign up for their email specials and you can get an extra 25-35% off every few days.

--
    John Fricker
    Prindle 16
    Seabrook, Texas
    --
  • I think a lot of it depends on your body type. Personally, I've been very happy with my West Marine "Action Reflex" vests http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO8a-DGBvkY. It's cut high enough on the waist that I haven't encountered any issues with my harness. I'm a "husky" guy and to be perfectly honest, I looked kind of ridiculous in some of the kayak-designed vests I tried on. This one fits me much better and has nice built-in features such as adjustable shoulder straps and waist clip, two drain-able zippered pockets, and reflective taping. And at $45, it's a relatively good bargain. My $.02.
  • i like my extrasport universal, it's got a minimun of fabric because heat is the issue in south mississippi and it's very small compared to others.

http://store.extrasport.c…roducts/462527/Universal

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • I also like the zhik. I'm not worried about legality. But you could always throw a couple of the cheap orange block vests into the hulls so that they are onboard.

--
    Uwe
    94 Prindle 19 - "überKat"
    DFW, TX
    --
  • Do any of the preferred jackets have padding in the sides.? The kayak jackets don't seem to have this and after watching
    a crew member smack his side into the hull after stuffing the bows it has become important to me.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.