Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Borrow Rick White's Sailing DVD's?  Bottom

• I was wondering if anyone would be willing to lend me their Rick White Sailing DVD to watch? I have a few books that I would be willing to swap for a few weeks or however long you would want:

Catamaran Racing for the 90's by Rick White and Mary Wells
    The Complete Manual Of Catamaran Racing by Rick White
    Catamaran Sailing From Start to Finish by Phil Berman

Just wanted to watch the dvd and learn all I can in the weeks coming up before I get to Florida to sail for the summer. I could pay for shipping both ways and promise to take good care of it.

I would be forever grateful.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • C'mon, man, Rick has done a lot for cat sailing, so we should support him by buying his product instead of pirating it.
  • Where does Zach say a thing about pirating them? Book and video loans are not considered pirating, otherwise no library system in the world would be in operation.
  • Rider_55Where does Zach say a thing about pirating them? Book and video loans are not considered pirating, otherwise no library system in the world would be in operation.

This is what I figured. I don't want to start anything though.

I'm not trying to stiff Rick here. I have bought 2 of his books and just want to swap for a little while. He won't be missing out on revenue because I don't plan on buying it anyway.

$100 is a lot of beer and pizza for a college kid...

Like I said, I don't want to cause a cat sailing civil war. Please let me know if it was out of line to do what I did.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • Naaah, not out of line in my mind. When I read your post I almost went and bought the DVDs. Figured I'd have them shipped to you, then get them from you when you were done. But like you said, $100 buys a lot of beer and pizza. It's also a lot of the cost of some of the hardware I need (need like "NEED") for my boat. I hate to say it, but priorities set in when I saw the cost.

That being said, I do think the best bang for the buck you can get with sailing, in terms of speed, is knowledge. Rick's books certainly do deliver that. I have no regrets having bought every book in your list. I expect I'd get well over $100 worth of knowledge by getting and watching his DVDs. I'm almost certain I'll buy them in the next year. But that doesn't do you a lot of good right now.

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • It'd be cool if we could start a traveling library of books and DVDs about sailing that people could just pass on to others that are interested but I think that may be taking it too far. At that point, we may be side stepping the writers of the books and videos. Still by no means illegal, but maybe not in good taste.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • The Rick White Sailing DVD is on my list. Currently, $82.67 on Amazon with free shipping. If I get my house sold this month (Austin, Tx.) I'm going to head back to Melbourne. I'll grab it before I head out.

But, did anybody tell you there is no wind in Melbourne in the summer? No waves either...
  • I have the DVDs, they certainly showed me a few things given that I don't have anyone to learn from. They are starting to get a little dated though and are quite short. I'm not sure they would be worth the price for anyone who has someone to teach them the ropes. That being said there is nothing else out there. His book is definitely a good investment.

The Idea of a travelling library is pretty cool. I would certainly be willing to lend out books from my library to other sailors. It is especially relevent for the out of print ones! And if you are buying them used, the author isn't making any money on them anyway. If we can figure out which ones aren't under copyright anymore I would be willing to scan some of mine and post them on the web site. Or better, talk to the authors for the out of print books and see if they will allow Damon to host them maybe sell PDF's of them for a small fee and kick some back to Damon and back to the Author. I have somewhere around 30 cat books now! I will put a list together.

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • DanBergerC'mon, man, Rick has done a lot for cat sailing, so we should support him by buying his product instead of pirating it.

I agree Rick is great an deserves his just rewards but lending is by no means pirating. Now copying and sending them is another story. I know I for one would never spend $100 bucks on Sailing DVD's no matter how great they are. It's too much money for me and I'd rather just go sailing.

What I would really like to see and would totally buy is Ricks books released in an eBook format to keep on my iPad.

Edited by Quarath on May 03, 2012 - 12:18 AM.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • That is pretty easy to do, a good friend of mine is an author and her books are published on amazon all the time. However I don't think Rick would be too amenable to it. The reason is pretty simple, the sailing community is small and once someone got an electronic copy made it would be passed from person to person. No more sales of the book. Even now I'm not sure how many new copies he sells, I got mine used off of Abebooks or amazon.

Fiction is a little less risky than that. I do get a lot of e-books without paying for them, but I find that if I like the author I end up purchasing their new books as quickly as they get released, usually twice because I love audiobooks. The time lag between a book being released and pireated is the only thing keeping the publishing industry from completely collapsing right now. Bad news for most book stores (as you can see by the rash of store closures) but the industry is adapting and embracing the new technology. Unlike the music industry which tried to bully thier way in a losing battle never realizing they had already lost. They keep on saying the artists are being ripped off when it is mostly just the record companies. The good bands have always made thier real money in the same way, by touring. The record companies are the ones that made all the money off of their bands backs.

Anyway I doubt most authors whose books are still in print would agree to an on-line version of thier books. Too much time, effort and research goes into them for that.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • There are plenty way of providing eBooks online that do not let be easily passed around and require them to be purchased thorough a portal like iBooks, Nook, or Kindle.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • QuoteAnyway I doubt most authors whose books are still in print would agree to an on-line version of thier books. Too much time, effort and research goes into them for that.

When demand is for 'e-books' not 'books', the aforementioned authors' business models should adapt accordingly to continue to succeed.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • There are plenty of professional author fully supporting eBooks. My wife gets all her books through her nook and pays for every one. She reads A LOT. She very rarely has trouble getting the books she wants through the Barnes & Noble service. There are several authors that write some short interludes that take place between the regular series of published books and only make those available via eBook to encourage readers to try the eBooks.

From a cost standpoint and eBook cost a whole lot less to produce than a printed one and quite often cost almost as much making a lot more profit.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • i'd almost buy it and help circulate it(lend it out), but rick seems to be a great guy. What i'd really like to do is one of his seminars though.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.