Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra I-18 tramp pulling out of rail.  Bottom

• About a foot of trampoline continues to pull out of the rails on my I-18. This happens about 20 inches from the front beam on the left side. The tramp is in good shape. Is there any fix ? any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!! Dan R
  • perhaps you could pinch the track closed slightly with a lock grip for the 20 in where it is pulling out. if it still does it pinch it closed a little more.
    marc
  • Is it the I-18 where the track is fiberglass and made into the hull?

See this tread on Catsailor.com There are some others but it is the newest.

http://www.catsailor.com/…Number=246739#Post246739

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • The quick fix is pull the tramp off and add 2 layers of black duct tape to the bolt rope. Silicon up the slot/tramp as you re-install. A longer term fix is I had my local sail/patch/tramp guy add a layer of 3 inch wide black strapping (webbing) over the bolt rope. Mine still pulled out a touch by the end of last season. A friend gave me some shims that H16 guys use, I have not tried them yet.

The end solution is when I need a new tramp (1 or 2 more years). I will use sail/mast slugs and make the tramp slightly narrower and with grommets/eyes rather than a bolt rope.

I will see if I can find the shims and take a pic of the packet. A fellow sailor on the beach literally just handed them to me, I don't know where you get them or anything, but the duct tape WILL HELP!

--Norm

Edited by nhanson on Apr 23, 2012 - 10:26 AM.

--
    nacra inter-18
    CNBP
    --
  • yes the I-18 has the track built into the glass. its nice b/c the main sheet cannot get sucked down, but the gelcoat/glass does wear and the line in the bolt rope on the tramp wears/decomposes as well. So the tramp pulls out.

--
    nacra inter-18
    CNBP
    --
  • Norm, Great idea! Should the tape be black duct tape or plastic electrical tape? Thanks again!!

--Dan
  • I used high quality black duct tape. the glue/tape will last almost all summer. the $5 a roll stuff not the $0.99 a roll stuff. you run the tape length wise along the bolt rope in a single piece. Then go right over that again to thicken up the bolt rope. Obviously start with everything nice and dry/clean/free of sand.

--
    nacra inter-18
    CNBP
    --
  • Thanks!! I will get on it right away! Dan

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.