Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H17 with wings vs. no wings  Bottom

• I recently picked up an old H17, but the seller did not have the wings for it. Additionally, all of the tubes need to be repaired. 2-3 tubes are in such bad shape, that a repair would look a lot more like a complete rebuild. Considering this, along with not having the wings, I'm thinking of just getting rid of the tubes completely. I'm not looking for technical help, I just want to hear any opinions on what you think about a H17 without wings. Would it really take away from the boat, sailing-wise, re-sell value-wise? Would it help in any way? Any thoughts?

--
    Jake
    H17
    --
  • put a jib or spin on so you can trap out more often and just enjoy it... if you're not trapping it's going to be a low, low wet ride... which is ok, but trapping more fun icon_lol
  • Same issue here.. I have 2 17's One is OK in the wing dept.. I got"never repaired " 17 with wings but 2 tubes are toast.. Hobie makes a plug to keep the water out.. I will do a pix if you like.. Have not sailed eaither one so let me know what you find out.. Going to sail the one with wings soon. News at 11 from me. Cheeers Hal

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • I personally like the wings. They add a lot of comfort to sailing, especially in light air. If you trap, there is little difference, but you can trap from the wings to increase the leverage. In fact, I would not buy another cat without wings.

If I were you, I would shop around for used wings. New would cost you as much as you boat is worth. For semi-permanent solution, you can get plugs at

http://www.murrays.com/

50-50690001 WING SOCKET PLUG H17 (SET 4) $19.95

I you never tried the wings, you may even be happy with your wingless and plugged boat.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • Lucky Me.. I have a set of wings with both boats. Not sure I want to do the repair. Perhaps sell the one boat wing-less and sell the wings seperatly.. (and not have to mess witht he repair. Cheers Hal

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • I've done tube repair last fall and it was not too bad. You will need to install access ports.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • Got Pix?? I have seen the one from the hotline.. Bee nice to get one from one other method.. Hal

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • More on wing pocket repair

http://www.hobiecat.com/f…81a3ff0ba65d2fa7090ccbb6

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • Hal if your keeping them on the beach somewhere and not moving them around you can just seal them in for teh season with some good silicone. If you plan to trailer them much then this may not be good. What kind of shape are your sails in? Mine were not very good.

The plugs from Murrays are intended for keeping moisture out in the winter I think not for sealing the tube while sailing.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.