Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sad Story  Bottom

• Unfortunately, this happened near my hometown sailing area. Its called Hurricane Pass, and when the tides change, an enormous amount of water flows through this narrow channel. This beach is located right on the channel (northside, in the upper part of the photo below) and I can understand how a novice swimmer could easily be swept out into the Gulf.

http://www.foxnews.com/us…oridas-honeymoon-island/

Here's an aerial photo of the pass. The beaches on both sides of the pass are popular swimming areas. I've sailed my hobie through that channel hundreds of times.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=83888&g2_serialNumber=4

Edited by motivated on Apr 09, 2012 - 11:13 AM.

--
    Karl, Captain of Stayin' Thirsty
    2011 Hobie 16SE
    Atlanta, GA
    --
  • Very sad news, in deed. It remind us that we need to be very careful in unknown places. My condolences to the family of this brave man who give is live to safe a young child.

Pat.

--
    Patrick DW.
    Ciudad del Carmen, Mexico.
    --
  • they say it was a rip tide, not the regular tidal changes. However, the regular tides around there are very strong.

They showed on foxnews how the rip tides require lots of wind to push in extra water in an area, waves to push more water on shore, and astronomical higher tide. Then how the rip tide flows back out, and down (or up) the beach through underwater channels.

I hadn't realized that rip tides can push people out to sea.. i thought they ran parallel to the coast.

Edited by MN3 on Apr 10, 2012 - 09:01 AM.
  • When my mother was a child, she got caught in a rip-tide in South Florida. She ended up inhaling several ounces of sand and was pulled 1/2 mile off-shore. A boater picked her up.

Needless to say she survived, but for the rest of her life, when an x-ray was taken of her chest, she had to explain, "No, that's not a tumor, it's sand."

--
    Daniel T.
    Taipan F16 - USA 213
    Clearwater, FL
    --
  • MN3they say it was a rip tide, not the regular tidal changes. However, the regular tides around there are very strong.

They showed on foxnews how the rip tides require lots of wind to push in extra water in an area, waves to push more water on shore, and astronomical higher tide. Then how the rip tide flows back out, and down (or up) the beach through underwater channels.

I hadn't realized that rip tides can push people out to sea.. i thought they ran parallel to the coast.Edited by MN3 on Apr 10, 2012 - 09:01 AM.

Actually "rip currents" run perpendicular to the coast line. But Hurricane pass is a tidal current not a rip. I've swam in it many times (from St.Pete originally). I'm always surprised how many people panic and drown in either. Just relax and stay afloat and eventually you'll move out of the current. Then swim back to shore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rip_current

--
    LIVE LIFE... Dave Wilcox
    Trac 18
    Bloomington, IN
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.