Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mast F18 yr 2005  Bottom

• Hello!

Could someone advice me if a 'inter 17' mast length is the same as a 'Nacra F18' ? I could not find any technical details anymore (!)

Thanks in advance!
  • Isn't the F-17 mast is carbon fiber and the F18 mast is aluminum? As for the length F-17 mast is 30’ 4”
    and I believe the F-18 mast is 30' 1".

May I ask why the question?

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • I think the F17 switched to aluminum mast as standard shortly after (1 or 2 years?) it became the F17 from the I17. That's a mildly uneducated guess, though.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • My mast is bent, therefore icon_confused
  • So is your real question... "Can I replace my bent Nacra F18 mast with a mast from an I17?

Because there is more involved than just the length, although I'm told length is important. icon_biggrin

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Ugh yes Damon
  • A carbon fiber I17/F17 mast will not perform well with your F18 sails. Or, at least the leach curve of your sail would not be correct for the mast.

As Yurdle pointed out, the F17 started using an aluminum extrusion in 2006. This is the same extrusion used on the F18 Infusion. To be picky, these would not exactly match the characteristics of the 2002-2005 F18 rig.
  • Is that right? I thought that the curve was set based upon downhaul with the mast extrusions essentially straight. My experience has been with the 5.x seriese boats, but all of those use the exactly the same extrusion just slightly different lengths (except that Nacra did change extrusions in 1984). So in my mind, as long as the extrusion is the same, you should be able to do it. Unless of course they did something different on the racier boats.

Edited by Wolfman on Apr 02, 2012 - 05:54 PM.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Where is it bent.. Cut it down for a 5.2 and send it to me. IM if it could happen !! I have some one to pick up and get it here. We got no Nacras in CALIF.. Hal

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • the specs on the mast of the 2003 nacra inter 18 that i just sold was:
    Mast Length: 29.79 ft (9.08 m)
    this was a certified NA-F18 and was a few inches shorter than my 19' nacra 5.8's mast(30'). it seems odd that an F17 mast would be longer than an F18 or a N5.8 mast.

in the 2012 class rules for Inter 17 it states:
    'Length of mast is 8.65 m' (28.38 ft.)

here is the link:
    http://www.nacrasailing.org/files/docs/1326622169_Class%20Rules%20Nacra%20Inter%2017%20January%202012.pdf?PHPSESSID=bb3a09696eea001c29af55de08556a2b

or search google for: 'inter17 mast length'
    j

Edited by arch on Apr 03, 2012 - 07:33 PM.

--
    Aquacat 12 (sold)...'87 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'03 Nacra Inter18 (sold)
    Venture 15 (sold)....'89 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'91 Nacra 5.8NA (sold)
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --
  • The F17 was originally designed uni (which could certainly warrant a longer mast) and has a much higher aspect sail than the 5.8, so I could again see it having a longer mast. I'm not saying it does -- just that it doesn't seem odd to me.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • If anyone needs... I have an Nacra Inter-18 mast conviently separated into 2 15 foot lengths. If someone wants to try a splice. Cut you a good deal.

Also, I can go on a long rant about getting a new mast shipped from Perfomance/Nacra. Let's just say you should be there to accept/reject and it may take multiple tries to get one in good enough condition. Oh and it's still full price.

--
    nacra inter-18
    CNBP
    --
  • nhanson
    Also, I can go on a long rant about getting a new mast shipped from Perfomance/Nacra. Let's just say you should be there to accept/reject and it may take multiple tries to get one in good enough condition. Oh and it's still full price.

Agreed, I could give a similar rant. It's a certified PITA.

If you ship a used one, make sure to insure it in excess of it's value.

--
    Philip
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.