Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 18 sails  Bottom

• Hey folks

Love your forum. I have been lurking for a week or so finding tons of info to a lot of questions about my newly acquired 1979 Prindle 18 plus nice trailer to boot. I got a heck of a deal from a friend who wanted my old eddyline xt kayak that needs a lot of work. I found it on a river in Utah cracked up and ditched which is a whole other story. To say the least I feel I got a great deal. The P18 needs some love to get back on the water. But is very doable. It is just money and time.

I have found a soft spot about 2X3 feet on starboard pontoon. Plus some cracking and moisture on the port side hull stern. Neither of which do I think will be difficult to fix. The keel is a little worn with some glass showing. I am thinking of running some glass tape down the keel and painting the hull. The boat has been sitting outside for a number of years and the tramp is looking rough but usable. The rudders are pretty much all there and in decent condition. The mast and all running rigging is straight and in great shape. He replaces and of the standing rigging 4-5 years ago and only sailed her a handful of times on fresh water here in Michigan. The mast was actually stored inside. Basically I need to do the glass work, replace all of the lines on the running rigging and decide what to do with the sails. Here is where the question arises. I have the time but not the money. Well I can find the money but how is it best spent.? The sails which were sitting on the tramp outside for at least a couple of years rolled up on the boom look like crap. He said they were pretty much blown out before it sat outside. I have all the battens except for the small one at the head of the sail. The luff has moss growing on it and the head is pretty dirty. There are a few small tears etc. I am wondering if I should drop the 1000-1200 bucks and buy new sails including jib, or find old sail from someone who might be reading this and sell it to me cheap and then I can take to a loft and have reconditioned. I could also just take my crappy sails to a loft and see what they can do for me. A thousand bucks seems like a lot to spend on a boat of this age that I got basically for free or maybe that is why I should. I figure for less then a 2K and some work I could have an excellent P18. Is it worth it? What do you guys think about the sails?

My other idea was to part out all of the great stuff and invest in something else. I know there are a few of you drooling over the parts but please don’t let that sway your advice.

Justin

--
    Michigan
    P18
    --
  • Hi. If you have the patience, E-bay can be your friend. Just bought a mainsail on e-bay for less than $100. The luff is 2 ft too long. I'm cutting off the peak and converting it to a flat top. Found a jib from a H-16 in Hawaii for $40. This is a great forum. Jim

--
    Jim Alker Land locked Boise,ID Prindle 18
    --
  • QuoteI have found a soft spot about 2X3 feet on starboard pontoon.

This a huge soft spot! Chances are the rest of the hull is in shaky condition as well. Sound like money and time pith -- sorry.

I would say -- part it. Then use the money to buy a boat in better conditions and with a usable sail.

Jack

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • Hello
    Thanks for the info. I just looked on ebay and have found some good stuff.

Jackb Reading on the forum it sounds like this should be a pretty easy fix. I have pushed on the whole hull and tapped the whole thing with the back of the screw driver and inspected through the ports with flash light for possible probelms. I have only really found the three things listed above. I feel like the soft spots is due to people bounceing on the hull to right the boat not due to water intrusion. Do others feel that 2x3 roughly is too big for a fix and is best to part it out instead?

--
    Michigan
    P18
    --
  • http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=72664&g2
    big soft spots on the foredecks are common for these old beauties...simple injection repairs and your good as new, don't let people sit/stand on decks-even though they are inviting you to do so! no biggie, you can use standard polyester resin for the fix(bondo/3m brand resin @ lowes). i would shop for a descent set of used sails and go for it! don't sweat the paint job just yet...sail it a bit and see what else it may need. enjoy!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Does it make a difference if it is the side of the hull? The decks seem soild as a rock.
    Justin

--
    Michigan
    P18
    --
  • http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/253030_192593907455319_171894712858572_510141_376458_n.jpg
    sure, decks, sides, no matter...if it's totaly delaminated you can use screws to hold the layers together, you would be amazed at what you can do with it!

Edited by coastrat on Apr 01, 2012 - 08:09 PM.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Are sails in one piece or full of holes. If they are just Ugly from fading but the stitching and fabric ok then you can at least give them a try and see how they do. I just got a newish set of white sails so I am trying to decide if i want to sell or keep my Teqiula Sunrise set. they are decent but originals. They have a faded section but not to bad. Had them patched, restitched and the Jib zipper fixed last season. I kinda want them as just in case i fall through the others or something but at some point I am going to have to let some things go to help support my addiction.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • QuarathAre sails in one piece or full of holes. If they are just Ugly from fading but the stitching and fabric ok then you can at least give them a try and see how they do. I just got a newish set of white sails so I am trying to decide if i want to sell or keep my Teqiula Sunrise set. they are decent but originals. They have a faded section but not to bad. Had them patched, restitched and the Jib zipper fixed last season. I kinda want them as just in case i fall through the others or something but at some point I am going to have to let some things go to help support my addiction.

Well the sails are mostly in one piece. One place could use a little stitching but I could make them work. The moss makes me think they may be a little weak. If you are interested in selling those sails I might be interested. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

--
    Michigan
    P18
    --
  • Keep me updated on how the soft spot repair goes! I'm looking at a boat that has some small soft spots and am trying to decide if it's worth my time. icon_cool

--
    Michael Newman

Bay St. Louis, MS

prindle 16
    --
  • Quote The moss makes me think they may be a little weak.

LOL.. That would make me a little worried as well. I was picturing severe fading and dirty on the exposed part of the rolled up sail with maybe some deteriorated stitching in that area not plant life.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Curius as to the sail # on that boat as I had first P-18 in Michigan, # 10, having introduced Prindles to Mi. in "73. In my experience sun is the greater enemy to sails than moss. Injection will work best when you tip hulls on edge so resin doesn't run down side. Use 3-4 trailer webbing straps around hull after injection, then force old books or something like that between straps & hull to create bond. Injection is easy & should take no more than an hour. Interlux Brightside will make it look new--a qt will just about get whole boat. Again tip on edge to be always painting flat (take 3 days). Pete
  • Quote you can use standard polyester resin for the fix(bondo/3m brand resin @ lowes)

Git-Rot is suppose to penetrate better, but it is more expansive.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • pbegleCurius as to the sail # on that boat as I had first P-18 in Michigan, # 10, having introduced Prindles to Mi. in "73. In my experience sun is the greater enemy to sails than moss.

Pete I just checked the sail number. It is 18. Does that mean if original sail that I have hull number 18?
    I am pretty sure the sail is not worth much effort. I still might take to a sail loft and see what someone with a lot more knowledge and experience has to say. In regards to the fix I am just waiting for the stern area to dry for a little patch work. I need to do some more digging and cleaning before I am ready to fix. In the mean time the Miss is having me build a new deck which wins the competition for my free time. When I get to work I will keep you all posted.

Git-Rot is suppose to penetrate better, but it is more expansive.[/quote]

I thought get-rot was formulated for balsa core and not foam cores. I am not sure about that but might be worth a look. I think I am just going to go with West systems. They have great support, lots of literature, and with Michigan's economy I like to spend the money locally. There are other cheaper equally high quality epoxies on the market. Plus 3M bondo resin.

Justin

--
    Michigan
    P18
    --
  • Ha ha

18 icon_lol That is a p 18. I meant to say sail number is 468. icon_wink

--
    Michigan
    P18
    --
  • i have a set of prindle 18 hulls for sale. they are original gelcoat. 1984. the starboard one has soft spots on the topside but the bottoms and sides are solid and havent been redone. im in ny. $250 for the set and that includes the rear crossbeam . i dont have any other parts.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.