Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Need help with Nacra 5.2 Jib wire crap  Bottom

• Believe it or not, I'm actually putting a boat together!! I have been trying to get a 5.2 togerther for a friend for over a year, but finally gave up on it--hence, the ad in the classifieds. However, out of the blue, someone just contacted me because he wanted to sell his 5.2. Weird timing.

The boat is probably the nicest 5.2 I have ever seen except for the tramp. I had a spare one, but it didn't fit. Apparently, this is the wider tramp. figures. So, I bought a new one from SloSails. I ordered the slits for the jib wires, but for the life of me, I can't remember how to set up the boat so you can adjust the position of the jib block from the other side.

I remember there was a bungee that pulled it forward, then a line that went through the eyelet on the rear beam to a jam cleat or something on the end of the beam. This boat has nothing on the rear beam except the eyelets to attach the wire. I can figure something out, but does anyone have pictures of a smart way to set it up??

Thanks in advance..
  • I'll email you some pics -- I've got one set up in my driveway atm.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • yurdleI'll email you some pics -- I've got one set up in my driveway atm.

Rob,

If you can photo-document the rigging setup it would be great if you would create an album in the Technical section "Nacra 5.2 Jib Rigging" or something so future 5.2 owners could benefit.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I know, I know...that just sounded like a lot of effort. I'll try to make a beach cats album for it tonight.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Rob.. Please Please.. I buy U some vino if you ever get out to calif.. I have 2 5.2s that need that upgrade cuz I am soooo tired of scraping my knee on that steel line!! Cheers Hal

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • I do get out to California, careful what you offer. =)

I made an album. It's not super thorough, but hopefully gets the point across.

5.2 jib traveler setup

The slot on a 5.2 is very tight -- too tight if you use the default jib wire locations and don't use a barberhauler. So, either use a barberhauler, or move the front eyelets (just add new ones) outward on the main beam. I put mine underneath as I run the front of the line/wire under the tramp -- the slots on the tramps are in all different locations so this is skipper's choice.

Like I've said before, I actually use a couple inches of barberhauler going upwind on the 5.2 to open the slot a bit. Otherwise they feel all powered up and go nowhere.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • I am having the same problem with figuring out how to rig the jib. I am a recent owner of a 82 5.2 and it looks like I have the "deluxe" 4-way jib system. I have an unmodified tramp with the standard cables running fore and aft. What controls the jib trim, for and aft? I looked at the pictures posted by Yurdle but they don't relate to my boat. Help!
  • on a 1982 5.2 put the jib blocks on the jib wire so they can freely run up and down the wire

then run a line from the jib block back along the jib wire to the rear beam saddle, run the line through the saddle and tie a large stopper knot so it can't pull through

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=79236

Edited by erice on Jul 02, 2012 - 12:58 AM.
  • Yeah, right- 4 way. I have never had the guts to adjust the position of the blocks while underway.

--
    Eric C

Force 5 project boat
    Unnamed

Previous boat
    1980 Nacra 5.2
    "Double Vision"
    --
  • diamondlakesailorI am having the same problem with figuring out how to rig the jib. I am a recent owner of a 82 5.2 and it looks like I have the "deluxe" 4-way jib system. I have an unmodified tramp with the standard cables running fore and aft. What controls the jib trim, for and aft? I looked at the pictures posted by Yurdle but they don't relate to my boat. Help!

Can you post pics of yours then?

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.