Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Solcat 18 Mast. How stiff is it?  Bottom

• Hi. I'm building an 18 foot folding trimaran. I have an opportunity to buy a solcat 18 mast. What are your thoughts on this mast as compared to others from other similar boats. The suggested mast length is 8.6 meters, the 28 ft mast fits the size.

I'm concerned about strength. The sail area will be considerably larger having a square top main and a larger jib along with a spin.

Would this mast hold up? I intend to add one set of spreaders and diamond wire.

Anyway, how does the solcat 18 mast compare to something like a hobie 18 mast or a Tornado mast?

Thanks,

Jetboy
  • You could also consider a Prindle 18 mast it already has diamond wires.
  • the solcat mast is heavier and thicker in wall measurement. it is strong enough without diamond wires that is why it does not have them. i think that any of the masts mentioned will be of approximately the same strength.
    marc
  • Thanks for the advice.

I'll be loading it quite a bit beyond it's original design load.

I've also found a Nacra 5.2 mast. Any idea if that would be stiffer than the Solcat. Is either better than the other?
  • Love to have a link on the 5.2 mast if you do not need it !! .. need it in CA and willing to ship Thx Hal

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • jetboyThanks for the advice.

I'll be loading it quite a bit beyond it's original design load.

I've also found a Nacra 5.2 mast. Any idea if that would be stiffer than the Solcat. Is either better than the other?

none of the mentioned masts should be used if you are loading it over it's design load
  • The 5.2 mast might be the best for a tri IF you are using a fixed (non rotating mast). The older style 5.2 masts had a straight spreader that runs through the mast. You could replace it with a longer one and run the diamonds straight to the hull. If you are going to over load it, I would get the SolCat mast and add a spreader to it. Hands down, the strongest mast is a Supercat mast, but they are hard to come by.

I have a 33 foot carbon fiber mast from an F18HT that is ridiculously over built. It is pricey, but very sexy.
  • I ended up buying the SolCat mast. The guy had two Nacra 5.2 masts, but both were bent. One had been kinked and repaired. The SolCat mast was used, but in good condition. I'll be adding spreaders and diamond wires to it.

I think it should hold up well even with the extra load on it once it has been stiffened up a bit with some diamond wires. I'll also be running upper and lower shrouds.

I've often wondered if there would be any advantage to stiffening by laying carbon fiber over the aluminum mast. I'm not sure if it would add strength or not. Of course the carbon would add initial stiffness, but would all the load end up on the carbon until it fails, then transfer back to the aluminum? If that's the case it wouldn't really do any good at all. Does anyone build a carbon wrapped aluminum mast? Possibly not worth the weight in comparison to diamond wires?

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.