Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 16 with a slight bend in the mast... is it still ok to sail?  Bottom

• Last fall I acquired a 84 Hobie 16 from a friend. It was a great deal so I couldn't pass it up. However, after getting the cat home I noticed that the mast had a slight bend in it about 3-4 feet from the base of the mast. Since I picked it up late in the season I never had a chance to get it in the water. I was just curious to know if anyone could give me any insight as to whether or not it is safe or practical to sail the cat with this bend, or if it is something I need to consider fixing or replacing. I am relatively new to sailing and have no idea how to handle this situation. Thanks again for any and all help.

Dante

--
    Dante Morsillo
    Hobie 16
    Pittsburgh, PA
    --
  • Plenty of people sail them on tweaked masts. The mast isn't quite as strong but I doubt you will have any issues.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Better to sail it like it is then to weaken it even further by bending it again.

You won't notice the difference, the hulls and rudders are by far more important on a boat that age.

--
    Stefan, Denmark.
    H14,H16,P16,P18,SC17,N5.8
    Team StaySail
    http://www.staysail.eu
    --
  • k2sno070...the mast had a slight bend in it about 3-4 feet from the base...

How big is slight?
    Stretch your main halyard from the top of the mast to the bottom, under tension, starting and ending in the groove for the sail. Measure how far the halyard is from the groove at the widest part of the bend in the mast.
    Is there much in the way of distortion in the mast aluminum at the bend site?
    Just trying to get a feel for how bad the bend is.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • If you are looking at the mast with the sail groove facing upward, the sail bends to port about 2-3 inches, if that. It doesn't seem to be that severe I just never sailed a hobie before with a bent mast.

--
    Dante Morsillo
    Hobie 16
    Pittsburgh, PA
    --
  • Excuse me... the mast bends to port about 2-3 inches. that is while laying on the ground. I dont have a chance to rig the boat right now since its mostly in pieces lol..

--
    Dante Morsillo
    Hobie 16
    Pittsburgh, PA
    --
  • i have a "lefty" mast, no problems...i don't want to screw it up by trying to bend it back.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • ~~ I have a Hobie 16 mast that has a slight bend in it. I tried to straighten it, no luck... I used it on an Ice boat that I built-- the "Ice shredder"--- Winter sucked this year for ice so I never had a chance to try it out or my DN ice boat. Use the mast as is and have fun with it. Keep yer eye open for another one at good price if ya want to buy another one. Just have fun & SAIL SAFE !!! ~~~

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • Thanks for all the replies gentlemen. I'll keep you updated on how it goes.

--
    Dante Morsillo
    Hobie 16
    Pittsburgh, PA
    --
  • My Hobie 17 has a bend in the mast, but backwards, not to either side. I've never had any problems with it.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.