Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Reasonable price and good quality Trapeze Harness?? help  Bottom

• Ok have new boat (new to me) 17 Nacra Inter. So I have built up enough sailing time and confidence to put on harness and try the trapeze. Well the harness that came with the boat is pretty worn, missing the spreader bar and actual hook. Was missing plastic clips I replaced those. On closer inspection it has a patch of 2" shoulder strap that has been replaced and resown. I am just feeling like I may be better off to start new??

I am, 5'8" 170lbs, looking for suggestion on a new harness that would be good. Are their certain options one would suggest? Materials, brands, designs? I know this is open ended but hey I am a newbe.

Looking at this one (Ronstan Sailing Trapeze Harness - CL10) no specific reason other than it looks like a good value. icon_rolleyes

Sincerely icon_cool

Will

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    Newbie but catching on fast.
    NACRA 17
    --
  • I have a Hobie Skippers harness in the classifieds - take a look.
  • I have a similar Ronstan Harness to the one you are looking at and realy like it. Feel much more comfortable trapped out in the harness than I do siiitng on the tramp. Have had it for two seasons and is comfortable and has held up well. Would recommend trying one on if posible as the sizing seems a little off to me. I also have a Gill harness and it does not seem as comfortable.

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --
  • i have used zhik before and its comfy

--
    Angelo
    1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
    2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • Kinda depends on what you want to do, and every one will have their own tastes. The Hobie Harnesses are a great value in my opinion, the skippers harness I have is very comfortable. Its fantastic for most of those days when you will be trapping in reasonably short periods.

I have a older Hobie full harness similar to the full auto. Its not as "free" as just the shorts however if I am spending several hours on the wire, it offers much more support.

The Zhik and Worrel seem to be excellent, but are priced pretty high.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Also consider windsurfing seat harnesses. Plenty comfortable for two or 3 hrs on the wire, and are often discounted by mail order and web sources. Try www.thehouse.com

Dave
  • Thanks for the reply's, I think I am going to go with the full harness. Also I was told the ronstan sizing was off. This weekend I can try on a Medium (I expect it to be tight on me). But if it is usable and I like it I will buy a Lg one.

Sincerely

Will

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    NACRA 17
    --
  • I agree with all that has been said, but ...

Unless you plan to distance race, or be in a harness for hours on end... without getting off the cat, the 1/2 harness and / or shorties are much easier to wear off the boat (less restrictive). I would seriously consider a shortie or 1/2 harness to start.

I would personally not purchase a used harness.... it's just about the same thing as purchasing used underware... my first cat came with a hobie harness, that smelled like ... used underware
  • Can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually agree with Andrew.

Living in indian shores (just south of us) the summers get damn hot wearing a full harness. My girl and I both rock the Dakine Storm (2009) and LOVE it. http://www.mackiteboardin…dd=action&key=H5HRDAKSTM

You may want to pay a visit to Steve Lavine at WaterSports West in Largo. Great guy and knowledgeable about cats. They have a huge selection of kiteboarding harnesses which work well. http://www.watersportswest.com/
  • i'm not really a fan of my worrell harness. For the comfort it provides on the wire, it provides just as much discomfort or restricted movement while not on the wire.
  • Humm I may be reconsidering especially, the half harness is less expensive??

Seriously thank you for all the input.

WILL icon_wink

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    NACRA 17
    --
  • It's www.the-house.com for mail order gear. Here is their windsurfing harness link:
    http://www.the-house.com/harn.html

--
    John Fricker
    Prindle 16
    Seabrook, Texas
    --
  • The murray's 1/2 race harness is pretty much the standard around here... not the most comfy for hours on end (pinches the hips) but works fine, easy on and off and cheaper than a full (but they are all expensive these days)
  • sullivarI have a Hobie Skippers harness in the classifieds - take a look.

Will: I just bought one of these, and I dig it! Assuming it is as advertised, comes with the spreader, and fits, 65 bucks shipped is a great deal. I have no relationsip with sullivar....just giving my opinion.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Like others, I have been very happy with my windsurfer/kiteboarding harness. In my case I purchased a leftover 2010 Dakine Fusion seat harness for $99. VERY well built, comfortable and supportive. Along with my harness I ordered a 12" hamerhead spreader bar as well as a neoprene spreader bar pad with integrated emergency cut-away knife. Below is a review of the harness I bought. One note on Dakine is they do tend to run small (e.g., 36' waist = XL). This is a good time of year to buy last summer's leftovers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArY4V_7shOw
  • Does that hammerhead spreader work with regular dog bone type rings or are can't miss style rings required. I like the idea of extra steel with no sharp point but am most interested in the extra width to help reduce hip squeeze. Do you have any pics of the spreader handy or could you tell me a specific make/model? Thanks
  • Rider_55Does that hammerhead spreader work with regular dog bone type rings or are can't miss style rings required. I like the idea of extra steel with no sharp point but am most interested in the extra width to help reduce hip squeeze. Do you have any pics of the spreader handy or could you tell me a specific make/model? Thanks

I'm not sure it would work well (or be safe to use) with dogbone-style rings, certainly not the smaller ones. I have can't-miss rings. It's a standard Dakine bar which I believe comes in 10" or 12" lengths. I'm on the larger side of a 36 inch waist and I haven't experienced any hip squeeze with the 12" bar. Here's a picture of my bar with the optional pad:

http://www.dakine.com/Uploads/ProductFeature/4600175_Renagade_FTR3.jpg

Edited by BrianCT on Mar 08, 2012 - 08:46 PM.
  • BrianCTI'm not sure it would work well (or be safe to use) with dogbone-style rings, certainly not the smaller ones. I have can't-miss rings. It's a standard Dakine bar which I believe comes in 10" or 12" lengths. I'm on the larger side of a 36 inch waist and I haven't experienced any hip squeeze with the 12" bar.

Thanks for the info. I have can't miss rings on my boat but some others I sail with still have dogbone style rings. I wonder if I could ring up a couple of portable (read clip on to dogbone rings) can't miss rings to carry with me to use if needed....
  • Purchased the Skippers harness from Sullivar in classified. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sincerely

Will icon_cool

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    NACRA 17
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.