Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

mast support for a H18 with wings  Bottom

• Hey guys, what are some good ideas for a proper mast support for my H18 with SX wings when on the trailer? What was sold with the boats when new?

Anyone make a support they want to sell?

I don't need fancy, just clean and very usable.

Thanks

Edited by shipchips1 on Feb 29, 2012 - 07:17 PM.

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=76769&g2

if you can find one of these they are nice...i think they are called mast caddies. i heard of someone who found one through google.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Don't have a pic handy but I made mine out of some 4" ABS pipe and connectors. It works pretty well.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • i have one of those things in the picture... i just call it a 'cyclops'... it's ok, but wouldn't spend $ on one... as they seem kinda squirrely... i just throw a lifejackt or flotatio cushion under the mast and bungee down hard.

for wings up front, again you can just lean 'em on the diamond wires and secure, or if you don't like that theres a easy to make PVC pipe thing you can do... search the albums... basically a PVC Y connector... bottom of the Y sits on the mast step... each top of the Y gets a pipe stuck in... at the top of the pipe each gets a t fitting... wings rest against the T fitting... bungee to secure.
  • my cyclopse kicks azz...it only takes afew seconds to deal with and is sturdy.(insert jokes here)...it appears to be kinda old also but is a solid/wellbuilt tool.(more jokes) every little thing you can do to save time helps when your a trailor sailor like me...that being said, mine came with the boat as did a set of beach wheels, so i was lucky.

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • THIS IS MY CYCLOPS, AND THIS IS MY MAST....
    THIS ONE'S FOR SAILING AND THIS ONES FOR FUN...

..depending on the situation the cyclops may work better than strapping your mast down on a cushion.
  • If you leave your tiller crossbar on then you need something like the CYCLOPS to keep the mast high enough to clear the crossbar. My homemade one clears it but only just barely. I usually remove the who rudder system though so strapping to the beam was never a big deal, the caddy does speed things up a bit for me.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • i don't take my rudders off when i trailor because it's a pain to ...the previous owners abused the boat and the castings are tweaked making the pins tuff to go in and out...so i whip out my cyclopse and it comes in handy icon_biggrin

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • Sometimes I think I'd rather do that but I'm not brave enough with my current setup to think they wont come down when I don't want them to. beside mine come off and on pretty quick. I can even do it by myself in a pinch.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=76764&g2_

the rudders ride on this line i tie under them. the up/down lines are loose with no pressure on the springs. the rudders can't fall down. i just worry about some bozo rear ending me

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.