Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Wilmette/Gilson Park suspends offering rescue services for members  Bottom

• Does your beach/club offer rescue support in the event you capsize and can't get up, or something worse? Wilmette has for years, and this year they are suspending it. My first year there I needed help twice. Now rescue services will only be offered for rentals and classes, not for the private boat owner/members who pay $500 to $1000 a year depending on resident status. Call the Coast Guard is their message now, "but keep in mind, they rescue people not boats."

Since that first year, I have probably radioed into the shack about 10 times regarding capsized boats that could not right themselves. Hardly anyone sails with radios, WTF? Often with kids aboard. It was a great service, and made it the place to teach my kids to sail.

I know several years ago Northwestern would send the rescue boat out to help. Don't know if they still do this. The Indianapolis Sailing Club rescue boat wasn't constantly staffed, but they would send it if manned too. Of course the lake in Indi was small enough that there was always another sailor within ear shot if needed.

Edited by kgatesman on Feb 17, 2012 - 07:35 PM.
  • I guess this was a budget issue?

That looks like a nice operation and place to sail, not many like it in the USA.
    http://www.wilmettepark.org/sailing-beach

Google Map Link

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I think it is a legal matter because they are going to continue to operate the rescue boat for rentals and classes. I have an email out to the manager. I would say it is the single most beautiful, while least crowded beach in Illinois. Whether it is financial or legal, it is a major change without discussion with the membership. Either way, I would pay in the event I needed help. I would waive the right to sue in the event of injury or boat damages in the event of a rescue.

It is across the street from the Bahai Temple, which is pretty cool too. It is a very interesting religion.

Waiting for smfinley to chime in, maybe I am a loon and should get over it.
  • There was a park district board meeting in November, the lakefront mgr sent out notices, but for "some reason" only about 25% of sailors I know received them. Anyway, we tried to get the word out and about 20 sailors attended. The park district wanted to ability to "close" the beach on what they deemed not safe days. The debate centered around a sailor/crew making the decision to sail vs the park district making the decision for you. Also, the lake front manager did not think she could stop the staff from attempting a rescue on "red flag" days.

Glenview has a sail at you own risk policy on what they call "black flag" days (a Glenview staff member attended the meeting). On these days, staff will not rescue/assist until you are on the sand. Why could we not have a policy like this... I don't know, but I think much of has to do with liability and training. The majority of the sailing staff are just kids.

How this will all shake out in practice/application, I don't know. For sure sailors should keep an eye on one another as we always do. I have taken part in a number of rescues (including plucking some Finley's off a turtled/busted comp tip boat). Hopefully when my turn comes and I break a shroud/mast/bridle, someone is around (come on... karma).

The long and short of it is, your first responder in any case should be you. Use common sense. Wear appropriate clothing. Get a righting bag, learn how to right your boat. Keep your boat in good working order. Let someone on the beach know you are going out. And after all that something still happens, carry a VHF and call the coasties. Remember, the coasties rescue people, not boats.

Another way to think of it, is what if you were on a J-24 out of the harbor?

--norm
    http://wilmettesailing.com

Edited by nhanson on Feb 18, 2012 - 02:11 PM.

--
    nacra inter-18
    CNBP
    --
  • Thanks for the info Norm. Hope to meet you this summer. I didn't receive the invite. But I got the contract. Go figure.

If I was on J24 the chance of capsize and turtling is extraordinarily small. When I had the Mac-25, I had a towing/rescue policy as part of my regular boat insurance. I don't know about you, but I don't have such comprehensive insurance on my cat, maybe I should.

I agree with your first responder statement, and have all the things you recommend. But how many of our sailing neighbors don't? I have been asked a handful of times why I have a radio on my vest. And I am a junior sailor compared to a lot of these folks (going on my 9th year).

If Holly can't stop the staff on red flag days, what is she going to do when on a nice day a puff knocks down 9 boats, its happened. I don't go out in big wind or waves, so I am not too worried, I do think it is a huge blow to what we get for our membership.

I kind of think this policy falls apart over time. We will see. It is still a magical place.

Edited by kgatesman on Feb 18, 2012 - 02:39 PM.
  • Kenny,

I agree with you on this one. I was shocked to see in the contract envelope that they were no longer going to provide on water support for boats in distress. The idea of having a rescue boat available for the rentals but refuse to use it to assist a private boat based out of the sailing beach seams crazy to me. I know some days they would not have the power boat readily available, and I can understand there being days where they deam it unsafe for them to try to perform a rescue, and therefore call the Coasties, but to change the policy to not provide this service to the people who pay for their services is stupid.

I have never needed their assistance, and always carry a VHF radio, but it was that comfort level of knowing they were there if needed, that made me feel better about taking rookies out and kids out on the boat. I also agree with Norm that you are your own first responder and should be prepared, but I have seen plenty of people on the beach that are not that way. You see a couple teenagers jump on a H16 with lifejackets tied to the tramp and head off in 2-3 foot chop with a steady breeze.

Norm,
    You guys are a whole nother level of sailors then 95% of the boats at Gillson beach. When everyone else is out sailing you are waiting for the wind to pick up, and when everyone is running for cover, you are sheeting in : ) I love to see you guys out on the water. I didn't know there was another set of Finley's on the beach though. Since it wasn't me you helped, but yes I have seen a lot of people help others off the beach. Not many places you can sail these days where there are 50 boats either on the waters edge our out sailing. And most of those people will give up their crew to help you get your boat righted if needed. I know I have.

I have also watched a guy blow 4 or 5 tacks while headed off shore, I caught up to him and asked if he needed help. He was not experienced enough to know how to tack in a decent breeze. Cat sailors are a great fraternity of sailors, and Gillson beach is no exception.

But it is a real shame the park district is dropping the rescue boat support. I also did not get the invitation to the decision meeting, but they managed to find my address to send the contract to, which I paid last week ...... Can't wait for May.

Scott

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I called Glencoe, they do have rescue services there. The problem is they don't take new registrations until April. So we are all buttoned up and paid for, before they are even starting. Makes it difficult to switch.

I love Wilmette, and will gently prod Tim and Heather to rethink this plan, for as long as it takes. Wilmette is hardly hurting for cash. This will come around sooner or later.
  • I talked to one of the staff today. The measure was to protect the staff on hazardous days. Well that sucks. They could just not offer the rescue service on "hazardous days". Then she said, "the insurance company" agreed with the move. No shit. Big surprise there.

I like enough that I won't move to Glencoe, but I would move to Northwestern if they would ever return my calls about the "waiting list" I was put on four years ago.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.