Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

eTrex 20 or eTrex 30???  Bottom

• Ok, I am looking for a handheld GPS I like the two eTrex models what do you guys think?

I will also be using this for fishing and bike riding.

I am open to suggestions.

Thanks

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • Unless you need to use the extra features of the 30 (eg, heart rate monitor and bike cadence sensor for example,) why would you bother? The eTrex 20 is a better value IMHO.

I consider the electronic compass a drawback rather than a feature.

--
    Daniel T.
    Taipan F16 - USA 213
    Clearwater, FL
    --
  • QuoteI consider the electronic compass a drawback rather than a feature.

why is that?
  • An electronic compass uses battery power and is an extra expense for a feature that you rarely (if ever, depending on the use case,) will use. It requires calibration and is prone to interference. It is no better than a standard magnetic compass.

If you are going to be standing still a lot and trying to figure out which direction north is, then get a regular compass. If you are using the GPS to track the typical things that one wants to track while bike riding, or motoring to one's favorite fishing spot (the use-cases that Jim said he wants it for,) then the electronic compass is a drawback rather than a feature (it reduces battery life without adding information.)

--
    Daniel T.
    Taipan F16 - USA 213
    Clearwater, FL
    --
  • Have the etrex 20 now for over a year. It is very waterproof and solid. Battery-life
    is not a problem. Just put in a pair of 2400Mh rechargeable AA pennlites in and your good for a week.
    I use it as a log, after a sail you can see the tripmeter for distance, speed etc.etc.
    Just turn it on and stow it in the grab-bag before a trip.
    Always set a waypoint of the beach you leave for safety. One day that compass was handy when fog kicked in.
    The screen on both the etrex's are to small to navigate on a rough ride. Maybe the
    30 is handy for biking but I wouldn't take it on a cat.Does
    state its IPX 7(sort of waterproof) though.

Since Gps is forbidden in most races I do ( or want to do ) I opted for the 20.

Regards, André

Edited by catmodding on Feb 11, 2012 - 02:18 AM.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Thank You Guys

I am going to order the eTrex 20

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • I'm planing on getting a Foretrex 301. I like the idea of keeping it on my wrist.

--
    Daniel T.
    Taipan F16 - USA 213
    Clearwater, FL
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.