Wintertraing postponed  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• HI,
    Winter finally kicked in last week in Holland, so it is 2 days at
    the gym fore now.

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/GroteFoto-OD7RDTVE.jpg

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/GroteFoto-QL8CYLO8.jpg

André

Edited by catmodding on Feb 05, 2012 - 04:17 PM.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Andre, I noticed before how close your boat is stored to the water. That is the North Sea right? Must not be much tide movement there?

I like the secure straps you've got for tie-downs, what is in the ground? From the picture it almost looks like iron rings mounted in the ground but I'm assuming you wouldn't want to have something solid in the ground to trip over or damage the hulls when beaching.

Too bad about the snow, when does Spring come for you?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Damon,
    It's not at the north sea, it's the ijsselmeer, an old inland sea witch is closed by
    dykes now. So there's no tide anymore.
    If you look up " camping uitdam " in google-maps, you see the exact location,
    it is opposite of the 450 cats place, same lake.
    The owners of the camping/marina allow us to lie up some cats on that beach
    after the season.Only for the die-hards icon_cool
    In the summers its the camp site swimming-beach and we are at the marina
    itself.

Those steel rings are forged to 2 feet solid steel poles, found them at a
    farmers market.
    In the winter I ram them in the ground (with the owners permision)
    so I know they are there, and don't trip or damage the cat.
    In the spring I just remove them.
    Used them in France on the beach as well,
    Straps are from the Royal Dutch Airlines (KLM), they use them for a year
    then throw m out.
    Because it can become very windy at that special beach, you need them.
    Found a nacra inter 20 about 50 meters away between trailers last winter.

Spring starts at late March (ish) over here.

André

Edited by catmodding on Feb 05, 2012 - 10:21 PM.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)

--
  • out sailing in florida this morning on our nacra 18 square. wind 12 to 15 mph. 80 degrees. water 74. super sail. just had to rub it in when you live in paradise.
    marc
  • It looks lonely, André...
    ;(

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • marcs2out sailing in florida this morning on our nacra 18 square. wind 12 to 15 mph. 80 degrees. water 74. super sail. just had to rub it in when you live in paradise.
    marc

haha.... where in FL are you?
    miami or keys i assume with that kinda water temps.. its still upper 60's here in the gulf (clearwater)
  • MN3
    marcs2out sailing in florida this morning on our nacra 18 square. wind 12 to 15 mph. 80 degrees. water 74. super sail. just had to rub it in when you live in paradise.
    marc

miami or keys i assume with that kinda water temps.. its still upper 60's here in the gulf (clearwater)

Thanks Guys, rub it in... At least the scenery over here is beautiful, skaters on the old Amsterdam canals ,
    classic ice-sailboats on the lake , a beach in florida must be rather dull compared to this.
    Last time winter kicked in this hard was 15 years ago.

André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)

--
  • my 18 square is on a beach in lantana fl. on lake worth, not on the ocean. when the tide is coming in thru the south lake worth inlet it is like sailing in the bahamas. the water is crystal clear and you can watch the bottom flash by. last week i was sailing downwind in light air and was sitting on the forward crossbar an there was a 4' shark swimming between the hulls in the same direction. i followed it for about 100' until it made a right angle away from my course.
    marc
  • @ marcs2
    We could go on and on forever like this. But I'm very interested in the Nacra 18 sq,
    in fact, would like to buy one when my P18-2 is completely in my pocket from a
    sailing point of view. How do the 18sq hold up to the newer cats ? Do you race the
    18sq or just (like me) do an occasional race and sail for fun. Does you're 18 have a
    spi and does it like heavy crew ? ( 2 persons 440 Lb). Love get some info on that.

We live in opposite worlds, last time we went out it was end of January. 4 thermal
    layers under a dry-suit, flares on our bodies and on the cat , a handheld Vhf +
    cell-phones. Harbourmaster was asking questions, but let us go after inspection.
    Water-temp 36 degr Fahr.
    Air-temp 41 degr Fahr.
    Wind 22-24 Knts
    Chill-factor 28 degr Fahr.

Same kick we've got being the sole sailboat on a 13 by 17 mile lake, as you're shark.
    Flying a hull in these conditions, be in control of the boat all the time.
    Being welcomed by the harbourmaster with hot
    black (really black) coffee is the kick you get from sailing.
    And catsailing it is !!

Like to hear about the 18sq
    Regards, André

Edited by catmodding on Feb 09, 2012 - 01:00 AM.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)

--
  • MN3
    marcs2out sailing in florida this morning on our nacra 18 square. wind 12 to 15 mph. 80 degrees. water 74. super sail. just had to rub it in when you live in paradise.
    marc

This is the saddest time of the year. Football is over, baseball has yet to begin. Winter has us in its full grip. Guess I'll wax the boat (again) while dreaming of those warm breezes and salty Gulf waters.

Edited by motivated on Feb 10, 2012 - 08:05 AM.

--
    Karl, Captain of Stayin' Thirsty
    2011 Hobie 16SE
    Atlanta, GA
    --
  • it is mardi grass though!!!...helps ease the transition to st. patties day...

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • catmodding@ marcs2
    We could go on and on forever like this. But I'm very interested in the Nacra 18 sq,
    in fact, would like to buy one when my P18-2 is completely in my pocket from a
    sailing point of view. How do the 18sq hold up to the newer cats ? Do you race the
    18sq or just (like me) do an occasional race and sail for fun. Does you're 18 have a
    spi and does it like heavy crew ? ( 2 persons 440 Lb). Love get some info on that.
    we just sail for fun. i like to sail it solo or with my wife. we weigh 320 together.we do not race it but it feels like mach 1 when the wind is 15+ and the 11' beam makes it much more stable. out on the wire is exciting as well.
    marc
    We live in opposite worlds, last time we went out it was end of January. 4 thermal
    layers under a dry-suit, flares on our bodies and on the cat , a handheld Vhf +
    cell-phones. Harbourmaster was asking questions, but let us go after inspection.
    Water-temp 36 degr Fahr.
    Air-temp 41 degr Fahr.
    Wind 22-24 Knts
    Chill-factor 28 degr Fahr.

Same kick we've got being the sole sailboat on a 13 by 17 mile lake, as you're shark.
    Flying a hull in these conditions, be in control of the boat all the time.
    Being welcomed by the harbourmaster with hot
    black (really black) coffee is the kick you get from sailing.
    And catsailing it is !!

Like to hear about the 18sq
    Regards, AndréEdited by catmodding on Feb 09, 2012 - 01:00 AM.
  • we do not race the 18 square, i solo or sail with my wife .320lb. total weight. i like soloing best. the boat feel like mach1 when the wind is 15+. the 11' beam make it more stable than the usual 8" . out on the trap. when the wind is up is very exciting. google nacra 18 square carleton to see a 18 square at mach 1
    marc
  • @marcs2, is this the one?
    http://www.youtube.com/wa…&feature=player_embedded
    Its a 18 sq right ? Would love to sheet in all the way in those conditions.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)

--
  • catmodding@marcs2, is this the one?
    http://www.youtube.com/wa…&feature=player_embedded
    Its a 18 sq right ? Would love to sheet in all the way in those conditions.

Wow! Look at how much they have to twist out that big main to keep control in heavy air!
    And the boom looks like it attatches very near the base of the mast. Not a lot of room for the crew to scoot under.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I think they did a terrible job sailing that day, They could have been more in control. More downhaul and better trapeze stance, he is almost sitting!

the boom is that low because it is a one man boat.

--
    Stefan, Denmark.
    H14,H16,P16,P18,SC17,N5.8
    Team StaySail
    http://www.staysail.eu
    --
  • QuoteI think they did a terrible job sailing that day, They could have been more in control. More downhaul and better trapeze stance

I agree, in some shots the cat is hardly going forward while there's plenty of wind.

Still like to find out more about the 18sq. Texel rating says it has 103 as a rating.
    A Nacra F18 infusion has a rating of 105.
    Does this mean a 18sq is faster then a Nacra F18 infusion, even when it is an older
    hull design?

André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)

--
  • [quote=catmodding]
    Quote Texel rating says it has 103 as a rating.
    A Nacra F18 infusion has a rating of 105.
    Does this mean a 18sq is faster then a Nacra F18 infusion, even when it is an older
    hull design?

Are you looking at a cat1 or cat 2 18sq, cat 1 is a light weight boat and may be about as fast, a cat 2 is a fiberglass boat and should be about the same rating as a Nacra 5.5 SL.

Either way the 18sq is a single handed boat not setup for double handing and 450 lbs of crew weight.
    It will be very tuff to tack in high wind and that crew weight.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • would you consider a 5.5sl a two up boat? I ask because i have one and that is its intended use.
  • Yes, the 5.5 SL is a 2 up boat. Take the jib off and you have a uni, a single handed boat. Sail that uni with crew in heavy air and see how she sails. It's an elongated 5.2 hull. They don't like a lot of crew weight. Same with the 18 sq. The sq is a cool boat, just not meant for a crew of 2.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.