Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Dolphin Striker - Bolt Threading Issue  Bottom

• Help! ... I have a H16 that needs help! When I replaced my mast step, I removed the nuts on the dolphin striker ... Now, both side of the dolphin striker threads are stripped ... I'm hosed!!!

I can't get a die to re-thread the bolt side of the dolphin striker ...

Does anyone know how to replace the dolphin striker? I have a beat up front crossbar with a good dolphin striker...

Please help ... Else, it's new boat time!

Benny
    1981 Hobie 16
  • OUCH... That sucks. I rebuilt a 16 a couple of yrs back and had the same problem with a worn out mast step. Bought new step,dol.striker & the ''V'' bar that goes from side to side. I would'av had the same problem such as you... but I took both corner caps off and had to re-do it that way. Yer gonna use a hammer so make it a ''rubber'' hammer or a piece of wood with a hammer or else you'll crack or break the casting. Take yer time, it will go on, but kinda slow(I used some grease to make it easier) & your gonna have to ''work'' the pieces into place, then re-rivet... That cat was a 74yr. and sold it on E-Bay for 1,500.00.... But I really don't wanna do it again..... Good luck and e-mail me if ya need any more help. popeyez7@aol.com

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • I came across this old post while searching for a fix for my boat. I have a very similar situation except the stripped side of the rod is only on the starboard hull. I would rather not replace the entire rod if I can help it. I was taking mine apart to fix a bent ds post.

Does anyone now the size of the thread to attempt to chase the threads using a die? I still have a good deal of good thread on the rod. Maybe I can get the nut to catch on the quality threads and have the bend in the middle of the rod a little off center.

Another thought is to take it to a machine shop and have them cut new threads a size smaller get a new nut and add a washer.

Does anyone see any major issues with my thoughts on the matter? The ds post was a real pain to get out and I ended up magling it pretty bad using a big hammer to knock it loose. Thats not a problem as I am replacing it anyway.

--
    Griff
    Hobie 16
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    --
  • Griff,

Whatever you end up doing, please take some pictures to build a Tech Help album, sort of like this one for replacing the Hobie 16 mast step.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=12223
    you'll help the next skipper with this problem.

Thanks,

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • tparrishI came across this old post while searching for a fix for my boat. I have a very similar situation except the stripped side of the rod is only on the starboard hull. I would rather not replace the entire rod if I can help it. I was taking mine apart to fix a bent ds post.

Does anyone now the size of the thread to attempt to chase the threads using a die? I still have a good deal of good thread on the rod. Maybe I can get the nut to catch on the quality threads and have the bend in the middle of the rod a little off center.

Another thought is to take it to a machine shop and have them cut new threads a size smaller get a new nut and add a washer.

Does anyone see any major issues with my thoughts on the matter? The ds post was a real pain to get out and I ended up magling it pretty bad using a big hammer to knock it loose. Thats not a problem as I am replacing it anyway.

I have the tap and die as I have made my own step balls out of delrin. Do remember, that there have been two different size rods through the years. I have the larger of the two. If you want the size I'll check next trip to the tool cabinet.

Edit: Reason: It's Friday! O.K. Reread your post and I was making reference to the DS rod, so disregard. You can use a thread gauge to find out what size die you will need. I would try to avoid tooling it down to the next size.

Edited by mummp on Jun 17, 2011 - 02:09 PM.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Where are you located? I have 4 used front crossbars complete with dolphin striker and bar. $50 each plus shipping
  • If you need to figure out the thread size, go to one of the big stores that sell tools, don't know the one in the USA off hand, but there are several.Do as MUMMP said, buy a thread gauge, they are only a couple bucks. They look like little saw blades, just try them against the threads til you find one that fits snugly into the threads on the rod or nut, read what it says on that blade.
    I would not cut it smaller. There are a few sizes you can cut right over, 9/16 down to 1/2", but that is coarse thread, the DS is probably NF. If it takes any machining, it is probably just as cheap to buy a used beam from
    Hullflyer.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Thnaks for all the help! I carried the ds rod to a machine shop and the man was able to chase the threads. Firendly guy didn't even charge me for such a small job. I believe this fix will work. The chased threads hold the nut very well, but this is just from checking it and I have not reassembled the ds yet. I amn still waiting on a straight post and some new rivets to come in. I will have a better idea of whether or not it will work sometime next week.

I guess I jumped the gun a little or I would have bought one that hullflyer offered. Thanks for the offer! I may still need it if it doesnt work.

Damon,
    I didn't get pics of the threads being chased, I didn't see your post in time. I can create an album of the assembly being put back together but I believe it will look very similar to one that is already there and I don't know if you want two albums that are so similar.

Thanks again for everyone's advice!

--
    Griff
    Hobie 16
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.