Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Ideas for carrying a spin pole when trailering  Bottom

• Having trouble with where to put my spin pole when trailering my boat. I have a Hobie sail tube on the trailer but it's 2-3ft too short. A friend suggested adding an extension to the tube but I don't want to cut it plus I would then need something else for my sails. I've put it in the back of my truck, but it had to ride from corner to corner and stuck out over the side of the truck. Easy solution would be a nice new sail box, but don't have the cash for a new box. How do some of you carry your poles? I'd like to find a used one...

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • Mine is strapped to the boat for now. Would your sails not fit in the tube with the pole in there as well. A bulkhead fitting would keep all of the water out.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Get a long enough PVC(or ABS) pipe that it will fit in. Cut a small hole in one end of the sail box for one end of the PVP pipe to stick out from the sail box. Put a cap on the end that sticks out. have the rest inside the sailbox. Insert into pipe in the sailbox and will will hang out the end inside the pipe. Seal the hole around the pipe.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • If I add a piece of PVC to my Hobie tube then I won't be able to put my sails in it, so I'm back to needing another box. There isn't a whole lot of room in that tube..

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • Just mount a pvc tube to the trailer with a solid cap on one end and a threaded cap on the other using u bolts or cariage bolts with plates both inside the tube and on teh back side of the mounting point.

I have a total of 4 PVC tubes on my trailer. 1 6" and 1 4" on each side of the trailer just inside the wheel wells. The big tubes hold main, jib and boom, and the small tubes hold my ruder cross member (for long trips where rudder assembly is disassembles) tiller extension, and the axle for my beach wheels.

One peice of advice is to keep the open able end to the front of the trailer just in case the cap comes off your equipment won't scatter down the road.
  • His snuffer is too big for that

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • Sorry. I have spent too much time crewing on a mono this fall where the spinnaker pole is a whole different animal.

Would it be possible to mount a pipe big enough for the pole and cut a grove to accommodate the snuffer ring? Back half of tube remains solid, front half has a grove cut from top or side. You could even a a "T" where the ring rides to provide some lateral support if necessary.
  • I think a box is going to be the best answer. Have started thinking about building one out of wood, but that would prob be way heavy and possibly not weather proof. I don't leave my stuff on the trailer so it might not matter as much. I really just need something for the trips to and from regattas...

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • I just trailered my boat from Florida to Texas and the spin pole was bunjeed to the trailer. It made it back safely with no problems. Just an idea.

--
    Wesley Ross
    Galveston, Texas.
    -Blade F16 733-
    "Experience is the teacher of all things."
    -Julius Caesar
    --
  • I bet an HVAC fab shop could whip out a box like mine on the cheap. Galvanized sheet metal.

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • why not leave it on the boat? leave the spin bridals on, remove from the beam.. and lash it to your tramp/rails

most of us locals leave our pole rigged (100%) and since we trailer sterns to car (backwards) it doesn't get in our way... i hang a red flag off the end and at night i put a red light on it if it's gonna be dark out.
  • Before you drill a hole in your Hobie box, you should consider selling it and upgrading to my fiberglass box (sailboxes.com). I make a fiberglass extension that bolts on the front of the box to accomodate a spin pole.

--
    Kenny Boudreaux
    2010 C2 F18 USA 323
    Goodall Design "Southern Area Rep"
    Owner of Sailboxes.com
    --
  • I dont plan on cutting my tube, its in near perfect condition. I looked at your boxes they are WAY nice, but unfortunately it would be out of my price range even selling my tube.

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • this is how mine travels

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6573173537_6d0ea50318_m.jpg

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.